Replacing 5 HP submersible pump

Users who are viewing this thread

dryman

Reaction score
I have an old 4" well with a 5 hp submersible pump set at 200' (I think). It is on 2" galvanized pipe. The moter has been out for years and I want to replace it. I already purchased a new pump and motor but realized I may have bitten off more than I can handle. I was going to build a tri-pod out of 1 1/2" heavy wall square tubing to pull the pump with but am concerned about the weight I would be pulling. I have a set of 2" elevators for the pipe also. Does anyone have any advice for such a project other than hiring a "professional"? We are in a MAJOR drought here in Texas, all the service companies are busy, and I need the water for my cattle. Any helpful advice would be appreciated. Thanks

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Welcome to Terry's Forums dryman.

If it is a 5 HP then that sounds like a job for a pro. Are sure it is 5 HP ?

Have a great day.

DonL.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
5t%20image.jpg

There are lots and lots of things a person can DIY. Some save you money, some give you self-satisfaction.

In my opinion, this is not one of those. I use a rig like the one pictured above. The job can be dangerous. One mistake and you can lose a hand or a finger, or destroy the well. If the pump were to drop it would head to the bottom like a missle and probably destroy the screen.

What part of Tx are you in?

dryman

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, I am located north of Giddings. I am sure it is a 5 hp motor, I used it for irrigation water in the past.

DonL

Reaction score
dryman,

If It is on 2" galvanized pipe, then Texas Wellman may be correct.

It would a lot safer to have someone like him to help you.

You live in Gods country, I have been told.

Have a great day.

DonL

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
It can be done by a qualified DIY but like Texas Wellman said, it's best left to the professionals. The possible damaged limbs, pump and destroyed well cost could far exceed the savings. Understood it's costly to have a professional do the job but believe me in this case I recommend it!

dryman

Reaction score
Thanks for your comments. I will let a professional handle this for me and I feel much better about my decision. I will post on here what the outcome is. Again, thanks for your help.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Probably a good idea. I don't really know anybody in that area to recommend. It is getting very dry here also. We had a good bit of rain last week but now we're back to being dry.

dryman

Reaction score
Yes, we got some much needed rain last week too. It greened things up but will not last long. I think my biggest problem is that most companies I talked to said I was out of their service area.

WellWaterProducts

In the trades
Reaction score
You have made the right decision. Extracting this type of equipment, especially without experience and just the right tools, can be dangerous.

Thanks for your comments. I will let a professional handle this for me and I feel much better about my decision. I will post on here what the outcome is. Again, thanks for your help.

dryman

Reaction score
I found a company out of Hearne, Tx that said they would replace the pump for me. Very friendly individuals, I will get a cost estimate this Tuesday, the guy that is in charge of repairs was out yesterday. They did say I will need new wire so this could get expensive. dryman

DonL

Reaction score
I found a company out of Hearne, Tx that said they would replace the pump for me. Very friendly individuals, I will get a cost estimate this Tuesday, the guy that is in charge of repairs was out yesterday. They did say I will need new wire so this could get expensive. dryman

After all the work involved dryman, It is best to do it right the first time. That is cheaper in the long run.

Have a good holiday weekend, be safe.

DonL

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks