Replacing 1m length of sewer pipe with suspected cement blockage

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by sprinkler, Jun 30, 2013.

1. sprinkler

sprinkler New Member

Hi, I want to replace an approx. 1 meter section of sewer drain with a suspected blockage of dried cement (from a new extension building project). My question is what would the exact procedure be, if for example, the pipe is 15 cm in diameter? Would I just use a 1 meter length of new 15cm pipe connected with Fernco fittiings? I was wanting to avoid any "lips" at the joints. But if I cut out the 1 meter piece of pipe with the blockage in it, and then replaced it with a piece of pipe, say, just 2 or 3 mm shorter than the 1 meter length I cut out, would the Rubber fernco connectors be ok? Or could those gaps, with time, slightly impede the flow? Please see attachment, thank you. Fernco_connectors.jpg
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Is this below grade (i.e., buried) or above ground? It makes a difference since the all rubber connectors are NOT allowed above ground. Above ground, you must use the reinforced connectors - those have a stop molded in the rubber, so your pipe needs to account for that. What may be more important when cutting the pipe is to ensure you clean off any sharp edges at the cut and don't have anything sticking up and rough to catch on things. A very small bevel and you shouldn't have to worry about trapping things if your gap is small. If below ground, it is critical to backfill properly so the ends are not going to sink out of alignment - that can create problems (and is why the banded couplers are required above ground - there's nothing else to keep the ends from sagging or the pipe bending there).
  3. sprinkler

sprinkler New Member

The drain pipe is underground. So you think the best solution is to use the flexible rubber connectors with stainless steel jubilee clips, the minimum gaps, and fill in all around the new length of pipe and connectors with concrete? That should do it? Thanks.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

As long as it is backfilled properly so the ends stay in alignment...not sure I'd use concrete, though...