Replacemnt stems hard to find in California

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by jacodelic, Aug 31, 2010.

1. jacodelic

jacodelic New Member

I am currently working on a shower faucet made by Sign of the crab/Strom. The problem is that I need a faucet stem for the hot side. I found a company that carries the stem that I need (Tapco), but they will not ship to california because of some new lead law that prohibits the use of lead in new or replacement faucets. I have a friend in Oregon, but this company only sells wholesale. The part is Sign of the crab/Strom #PPO106 which is both the hot and cold stems which is OK. This is for a Shower, no one will be drinking the water, I don't understand why this is such a hassle. Can anyone help????? Greatly apppreciated Jack jacodelic@sbcglobal.net
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

CA dances to its own drummer, but the rest of the country tends to follow, but it often takes awhile. Time to bite the bullet and get something that will be supportable into the future. You think they're hard to find now, just wait!
  3. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Ah the beautiful side effects of SB 1334...
  4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

There are a number of brands and models that are now "orphans" in California. The OEM's are only making lead free parts for the most popular items, and even the aftermarket companies have to make a business decision on each item....is there enough demand for it to warrant the expense. Vermont has the same law, so all 412 residents of Vermont are in the same boat as 35 million folks in CA!

Fear not....the lead law will probalby come to all states, and it doesn't matter much, because almost all faucets are now made to comply, no matter where you buy it!