Replacement window balancer?

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by chassis, Sep 1, 2007.

1. chassis

chassis Engineer

I have single pane double hung windows, they are original from when the house was built in 1950. The balancers are steel coil springs about 18-24 inches long, and are accessible without tearing the window jamb apart.

I have a few of these springs that are broken, would like to replace them. As far as I can tell, the windows are "Curtis" brand. Couldn't find anything by searching on the internet. Can anyone please recommend a source where I can order the replacement balancer springs? Thanks.
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

I have never seen a balance that was not replaceable. I can't picture yours from the description. But the fact that you know it is a steel coil means you have some idea what it is. Almost always the balance can be removed by screws, if it is a steel wire wrapped in a spring coil,....or the springs are accessible by removing an access panel. You might have to look closely as the screws may be heavily painted over.

Some pictures would help.
  3. toolaholic

toolaholic General Contractor Carpenter

I have an acct. with C L R ,GO TO THERE ON LINE CATALOG

They will sell to you. They supply all the glass shops