Replacement Toilet Tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Karla

Love DIY Projects
Reaction score
I have a hairline crack at the bottom of my toilet tank which is an old model made by Briggs 4930 this model is obsolete. I need another tank but no where on there does it tell me how many gallons, rough end size?? I think it might be a 3 1/2 gallon tank? Can someone please suggest what I should do? I saw where someone on here had a similiar problem and was told to buy a whole new toilet with both parts. I saw a random brand at lowes for $60.00 but I'm not sure what I should be looking for HELP!!!!!! DIY

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you are looking at a home center for something low priced, look at the Cadet 3
More than $60, but works better.
I sell a lot of the TOTO Entrada toilets at $199.99

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Since it is illegal to sell toilets that do not meet the low flow requirement of no more than 1.6 gallons per flush, your best bet is to take a step into the 21st century and get a new toilet that will meet the requirement. Yeah, it won't be a $60 special at a box store, those are the kind plumbers make a live off of when they remove them and install one that will perform. Many of us on this forum favor the Toto line.

Karla

Love DIY Projects
Reaction score
Since it is illegal to sell toilets that do not meet the low flow requirement of no more than 1.6 gallons per flush, your best bet is to take a step into the 21st century and get a new toilet that will meet the requirement. Yeah, it won't be a $60 specialC at a box store, those are the kind pluCmbers make a live off of when they remove them and install one that will perform. Many of us on this forum favor the Toto line.
C

LOL,, Yes, I have seen those posted on here. And you are right I've had the same toilet since this house was built in 1997!!!!! Time to UPGRADE but I have a budget of $100-$150 and that's with me installing it. I'm not sure how much someone would charge until I call I just think if it's just the tank I could but if I go with a Cadet 3 or the Toto which seems to get good reviews it may be worth to pay someone to install if I have to buy a new tank and bowl?
Can you tell me or someone tell me if I would have to buy a whole new Toilet???????

Karla

Love DIY Projects
Reaction score
I have no idea how this forum works I am replying but I do not know if anyone can see my replies??????? I am trying to reply to Gary and Terry? Thank you

Karla

Love DIY Projects
Reaction score
Since it is illegal to sell toilets that do not meet the low flow requirement of no more than 1.6 gallons per flush, your best bet is to take a step into the 21st century and get a new toilet that will meet the requirement. Yeah, it won't be a $60 special at a box store, those are the kind plumbers make a live off of when they remove them and install one that will perform. Many of us on this forum favor the Toto line.

Sorry if I am repeating myself; You are right I have never replaced the toilet since the house was built in 1997 is there anything specific that I need to look for or can any size toilet or brand e.i. Toto that I can install or should pay someone to install?? I promise I am not as dumb as it seems on here this forum is new to me

Karla

Love DIY Projects
Reaction score

Thanks, I think I have frustrated myself with these posts that finally I can see now. So freaking Lost now :confused::(

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The hardest part of replacing a toilet is lifting it. There's a 'sticky' post at the beginning of this forum section that takes you through doing it. It does not take many tools or time for a simple swap.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Knowing the year would help.
Anything before 1992 is 3.5 gallons or more. Nothing new is going to replace that.
Also, not just any tank will fit an old bowl. The connection and bolt locations may not be the same. Also, the water usage may be different.
You are much better off replacing the entire toilet, even if that happens to be something cheap that you can find at a home center. At least as a unit, it will assemble and match up. :)

If we don't answer a post right away, it can be that we are out in the field.

Karla

Love DIY Projects
Reaction score
Yeah it's a 1993, so probably replacing it is my best option. I guess trying to use a sealant would just be putting a bandaid on it if it even worked! Thanks for all the help it has helped me tremendously!!!!!!
:):):)

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
I have a hairline crack at the bottom of my toilet tank which is an old model made by Briggs 4930 this model is obsolete. I need another tank but no where on there does it tell me how many gallons, rough end size?? I think it might be a 3 1/2 gallon tank? Can someone please suggest what I should do? I saw where someone on here had a similiar problem and was told to buy a whole new toilet with both parts. I saw a random brand at lowes for $60.00 but I'm not sure what I should be looking for HELP!!!!!! DIY
Karla, there's a very good one at sLowe's for $99. I actually own one and have absolutely no complaints. It's not a Toto or American Standard (it's an AquaSource), but it gets the job done without issues. Here's a picture.

AquaSource.jpg

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
THANKS!!!!!!!
You're welcome. If you get one, let us know what you think. Some think because of its low price that it couldn't possibly be any good. I'm here to tell you, the thing's a work horse and can hold its own with the pricier ones. A few tips: The included seat is rather light-weight, so if you ever have reason to sit on the toilet with the lid closed, you might consider a seat upgrade. It comes with a wax seal but do yourself a favor and get the blue Fluidmaster no-wax seal for $8 or the green SaniSeal for $12. Finally, to get a really snug and firm tank-to-bowl connection, have someone apply even, substantial downward pressure on the tank when tightening the bolts. Needless to say, do this with the tank cover off. I hope this helps. Good luck!

JMac

Reaction score
I installed one of those AquaSource toilets at my parents a couple years ago. They are very happy with it; and the install was fairly easy too. As Plumbs Away mentioned, it does have a very cheap feeling seat... it works, but that is about it.
The biggest complaint I have seen about these is that it seems they use a couple of different types of tank guts; 1 is junk and the other is the good one. It's been awhile since I have looked this up, and not sure how true this is... but am throwing it out there if somebody else knows about this or for you to do your own research into this.
There are installation instructions included. See the first posting in this forum about installing the Toto... just about all it applies to most 2 piece toilets. I am also sure there are youtube videos on replacing a toilet. If you still have questions, ask them here and somebody will help you (just may take a little time, but you should still be able to get an answer in a couple hours).

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
I installed one of those AquaSource toilets at my parents a couple years ago. They are very happy with it; and the install was fairly easy too. As Plumbs Away mentioned, it does have a very cheap feeling seat... it works, but that is about it.
The biggest complaint I have seen about these is that it seems they use a couple of different types of tank guts; 1 is junk and the other is the good one. It's been awhile since I have looked this up, and not sure how true this is... but am throwing it out there if somebody else knows about this or for you to do your own research into this.
There are installation instructions included. See the first posting in this forum about installing the Toto... just about all it applies to most 2 piece toilets. I am also sure there are youtube videos on replacing a toilet. If you still have questions, ask them here and somebody will help you (just may take a little time, but you should still be able to get an answer in a couple hours).
I didn't like the fill valve in mine so replaced it with a Korky. The flapper is 3" and a better replacement is readily available anywhere.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks