Replacement Shower Door Towel Rack Brackets

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Jack Straw, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Jack Straw

Jack Straw New Member

I have a 25 year old walk-in shower with full frame doors. The doors have double bar towel racks inside and out. The brackets that hold the aluminum extrusion towel racks on the inside have been basically eaten away from 25 years of exposure to the water here. The brackets attach through the frame and have a 2 1/4" spacing. The aluminum extrusions that fit into the brackets are 1/4"x3/4".

Does anybody have a clue as where I might find replacements for these brackets? I've looked at the big box stores, pluming supply house and specialty glass store with no luck.

TIA
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Companies like PrimeLine make a very few "generic" hardware parts for shower doors. You find them at HD, Hardware store, Specialty glass store. In general, the odds are WAY against finding proper parts for a 25 year old shower door. If the rest of the door is in such great condition that you are willing to spend a lot of time and money repairing it, that in itself is a minor miracle.

I think a new door set is in your future!
  3. Jack Straw

Jack Straw New Member

Thanks jimbo. I was afraid of that.

The doors are in surprisingly good shape for their age. I hope to get at least 10 more years, if not many more out them. The only part the has a problem is the inside towel brackets.

After posting yesterday I found possible solution locally. There is a shower door manufacturer that will custom bend a single aluminum towel bar. You just give them the center to center dims. of the screw holes and they bend up a towel bar for you. I'm probably going to have them make me a couple and see how they work. If all else fails, I'll just remove the inside rack and plug the holes but I hate to do that a it is a smallish bathroom and I use the inside towel rack.

Thanks for getting back to me.