Replacement For Main Line From Meter

Users who are viewing this thread

Eweneek1

Reaction score
There is a pinhole leak in my 1" main line coming from water meter to house. It looks like it is 1" rigid copper pipe and about 25' in length and about a 1' deep prior to entering home. It was installed about 8 years ago by a plumber. What type material would be a good replacement? Is this a DIY project? If so, how should I go about this project? Should I run another pipe either inside or outside the old one prior to removal in order to have a guide for the new pipe?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally 1" copper lasts a lot longer than 8 years.
It seems you could find that pinhole, and put a coupling there and be done with it.

If you replace the line, you will need to open things up. You won't be able to slide a 1" line inside a 1" line.
You will need to maintain the line sizing.

Eweneek1

Reaction score
Normally 1" copper lasts a lot longer than 8 years.
It seems you could find that pinhole, and put a coupling there and be done with it.

If you replace the line, you will need to open things up. You won't be able to slide a 1" line inside a 1" line.
You will need to maintain the line sizing.

Eweneek1

Reaction score
You are right Terry, I could repair with a coupling if I can find one locally for 1" pipe. So far, the largest size I found was for 3/4". Does the slight restriction in the coupling affect water flow? I only have 38lbs pressure at 12GPH prior to entering the house. However, should I worry about other pin hole leaks besides this one? Maybe it would be best to replace with shark bite couplings and PE tubing. All the pipe is easily accessible except the 9' sidewalk area. Additionally, there is a tee going to the Febco sprinkler pressure vacuum breaker device prior to entering the house.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Any plumbing supply has 1" pipe and fittings.
If you're worried about the rest, replace what you can see. Poly would be fine, though a sharkbite doesn't go from poly to copper. The OD is way different.

Eweneek1

Reaction score
Any plumbing supply has 1" pipe and fittings.
If you're worried about the rest, replace what you can see. Poly would be fine, though a sharkbite doesn't go from poly to copper. The OD is way different.

Think I am going with 1" Pex Type A if I am able to find a fitting to connect with the meter. Not much room to improvise. Otherwise, will just repair existing copper as suggested.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks