Replacement for Grundfos UP15-24F pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian MacMillan

Reaction score
Website
www.amoskeagnorthern.com
Hello all.
I've been working on trying to find out why I have been having some heating problems the last two winters. Money has been pretty tight with the new house so I have been trying to troubleshoot most of the issues. I had originally planned on calling the installing contractor back to fix the issues when they were first found, but they are impossible to deal with and I did not have the patience or time to go through the court process and have another contractor fix someone elses poor support and work.

Anyway, here are the system stats;
Boiler: Utica SW4WG1 (Oil, forced hot water)
Burner: Beckett AFII
Circulator: Grundfos UP15-24F
Boiler Aquastat Relay: Honeywell L8148A
Zone Valves: Taco 571
Zone Control: Argo 4 zone computer (unknown model #)
House: 2 floor Cape, 25'x50', 3 zones (HW tank, Main Floor, 2nd Floor)

The first problem I had with the system was that pressure valves or the boiler pressure was set wrong, and was found by the building inspector in the occupancy permit inspection. Shortly into the first winter we noticed that the baseboards would not get warm at all most of the time. A quick DIY inspection found that the Argo control unit was set that if the hot water tank was calling for heat, the other zones would not work if they were also calling for heat. A quick flip of the switch solved that. Within one year of install 2 of the 3 Taco motors burned out, and had to be replaced.

Now I believe I have come to what is the final problem I have found. Everything has been working well except now that the cold is here the baseboard issue has raised its head again. I checked the circulator pump, and found it to be dead. There appears to have been a short in the small control box on the side of the pump and all the wires and whatever was in there is melted. Could this possibly be replaced under Grundfos' warranty? Am I already past the warranty and on my own? Can this control module be replaced or does the whole pump have to be replaced? I have noticed that Grundfos no longer offers this model, what would be a suggested exact swap replacement? I have done DYI HVAC projects before, so I do not mind replacing the pump myself.

Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You need to replace the whole circulator. Grundfos or Taco both use the same flanges so you can use either one. If you are burniong out zone valve heads tthe amp setting on the thermostats is off or you don't have a big enough transformer.

PM me, I live 3 miles from you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks