Replaced tub, building shifted

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by audi, May 19, 2005.

1. audi

audi New Member

Hi, I'm in desperate need of advice. We replaced our old tub with a new one thats the same size but a little deeper. I guess the building had shifted (the old tub along with it) because there is at least a 1/2 inch space along the back wall between it and the tub. The problem is that the tub is totally flush against the wall as it reaches each end. The back wall that it sits against is a concrete interior wall (we live in a duplex). Previously, the drywall was glued directly to the wall but there would be a problem with the center of the wall because the edge of the tub has to go between the wall and drywall (the drywall wouldn't stick to wall because of space). I could put up sheets of plywood to bring the wall closer to the tubs edge before installing drywall but again, each end of that same wall sits flush with the tub and would then stick out over the edge too much. Any suggestions? I'm feeling like theres nothing I can do. :confused:
    Thanks, Audra
  2. George R

George R New Member

Tub

Audra, if I understand your problem correctly (and I'm not sure I do), you have a "belly" in the concrete wall such that the tub has a 1/2 in. gap between the concrete and the tub in the middle of the tub and then the tub is flush against the concrete at each end of the wall. If that is correct, then you need to put a 1/2 in. thick shim vertically in the middle of the tub (about 1 1/2 in. wide), and then progressively smaller thickness shims across the wall as you move towards the ends of the tub, with no shims in the corners. Put the shims about 12 in. to 16 in. on center and make the thickness such that the drywall, when adhered to the shims will come over the lip of the tub.

The shims can be adhered to the wall with construction adhesive and Tapcon screws and then the drywall adhered to the shims with adhesive.
    Last edited: May 19, 2005
  3. PEW

PEW DIY Senior Member

Audi,

Would strongly suggest you back the wagon up a bit, unless you know more that you posted. You best determine how and why the building shifted, and is it safe to continue.

Paul