Replaced Delta Shower/Tub Cartridge Now Water Pressure Is Worse!

Users who are viewing this thread

Dirac

Reaction score
The title pretty much says it that's the TLDR version.

The water pressure in our guest bath has been bad since we moved in and the water would never switch over very well to the shower head and leaked out of the handle so I decided to replace the cartridge. Getting the cartridge off was quite a struggle but after spraying it with WD-40 and then soaking it in vinegar for 30 minutes and still not getting that thing to budge I resorted to smacking it with a rubber mallet knowing that what was underneath was the cartridge I was planning on replacing anyways. I finally got the cartridge out and replaced it with the new one but much to my disappointment the water pressure was even worse after I did this. My guess is that I have knocked some sediment lose during the fight (and maybe the build up was the problem to begin with) and caused the pipe to clog up. I think this since their is no difference in pressure between the hot and cold lines and I have plenty of water coming straight out of the wall to the cartridge. My thought for a solution to this is to get a drum auger and try to clear it out. Thoughts, opinions?

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Have you tried unscrewing the shower head and seeing how the flow is with the head off?

Is the flow from the tub spout poor also?

Dirac

Reaction score
Have you tried unscrewing the shower head and seeing how the flow is with the head off?

Is the flow from the tub spout poor also?

I unscrewed the shower head and the tub faucet and the flow is poor through the tub faucet. When I block the pipe manually to divert the water to the shower head it won't flow out of the shower head at all.

Dirac

Reaction score
I've got the water flowing now. I just poured some vinegar down the drain going to the tub faucet and let it sit for awhile. Turns out I did knock some sediment lose during the dis-assembly. Thanks for your help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks