Replaced Delta 2 handle faucet cartridges now there is small leak from valve stem

Users who are viewing this thread

Al Wet

Reaction score
I think it's called the valve stem. It's the copper pipe that runs from the cutoff spigot to the sinks faucets. The sink had a drip coming from the faucet so I bought 2 cartridges that came with the spring and the black rubber thing that goes over the spring. I looked at some videos on how to do this. I put them in and then saw a slow leak coming down the copper pipe towards the cutoff spigot. When I shut the spigot off the leak stopped. I thought maybe the spring and rubber cap( washer I guess it's called) were different in the new ones. I then took out the new ones and put back in the old springs and cap as well as the old cartridges. It still has a little water coming down toward the cutoff spigot.
One mistake I made that may have caused this is when I loosened the nut holding the cartridges I had trouble getting it out. I thought the nut below it which holds the handles in place might be keeping the cartridge tight so I took them off too. After I did that I noticed the handles were moving a bit. Now I know I didn't need to loosen that nut but maybe that's what caused the problem. The only other thing I did that might have done something that I can think of is I took a little screwdriver and scraped around in the hole where the cartridge sits to see if I could clean up any buildup of minerals in it. I did it pretty easy but still wonder if that did something.
Both the hot and cold are letting out a small amount of water below the sink when I have the cutoff spigots turned on. Did I need to used some plumbers grease somewhere? Anyway, any tips on how I can get it to stop would be very appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a leak from the hot and cold supply connectors running from the shut off valve (aka angle stop) to the faucet.
Solution: use new connectors or at least new washers inside them and tighten a bit (but don't over tighten). No grease or tape is needed.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
BTW, Delta will gladly send you free parts for the faucet, if you need them. Supply connectors not included. Stay away from after market inner faucet parts sold at the big stores.

Al Wet

Reaction score
BTW, Delta will gladly send you free parts for the faucet, if you need them. Supply connectors not included. Stay away from after market inner faucet parts sold at the big stores.
Thanks for the reply.
Sounds like you have a leak from the hot and cold supply connectors running from the shut off valve (aka angle stop) to the faucet.
Solution: use new connectors or at least new washers inside them and tighten a bit (but don't over tighten). No grease or tape is needed.
Thanks for the reply. I'll have to look into how I do that. I haven't done that before. Any special tips for this procedure?Something else happened since I wrote this that is strange. I could pretty easily turn the hot and cold water off under the sink. I did this4 or 5 times as I was changing the cartridges. Now the hot water will turn part of the way off but only half. Not sure why this happened . Should I use pliers on shut it or is that a risk. This sink is actually in the bathroom right next to the hot water heater. Thanks for info, I'm pretty new to this.

Al Wet

Reaction score
I went to Lowes and showed them the replies here but not sure the guy I talked to knew exactly how to deal with it. All I came away with was another spring and black cap (washer?) that goes underneath the cartridge. Later I went down and took pictures of the area. To me it seems I can see where I moved the faucet a bit judging from the way it looks from the top and bottom.It's a slow leak about 1/4 cup a day from
under sink.jpg
under sink2.jpg
top where faucet looks like moved.jpg
cutoff.jpg
both hot and cold. Also the hot water valve now won't close all the way so tips (or directions to a video) on the steps to fix it and the leak would be a big help. Thanks

Al Wet

Reaction score
Well, still in the dark about the next steps. Do I approach from above (removing cartridges etc and faucets or from below (like 1st 2 pictures)?
Here's the latest on this. I still don't have the plumbing know how to be confident in taking that pipe apart. When I first did this it was leaking maybe 1/4 cup a day. Now it's about a teaspoon at most. I don't know if that gives a hint on what happened.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks