replace plastic drain valve on Rheem WH?

Users who are viewing this thread

Walkman

Reaction score
I was disappointed to find the 9 year GE WH has been downgraded to a plastic drain valve instead of the brass one that was on their display model.

Is it worth the effort to replace the plastic valve with a brass ball valve before I install it?

If so, is there anything special about what to buy or how to do it?

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
I was repairing a water heater yesterday that had a plastic drain valve. Normally, I remove the drain valve and replace it with my ball valve rig so that I can actually get water flowing through it. We are a high lime sediment area and it takes very little to plug a drain valve.

When I grabbed the plastic valve with my channellocks, it crunched like an eggshell. Suddenly, I was faced with more water than my shop vac could handle.

I managed, but it was a harrowing experience. I've never had a drain go to pieces like that before.

So by all means get a fullport ball valve and a brass hose adapter and a brass nipple for the tank and replace that stinker.

Reaction score
Website
www.sandpiperplumbing.com
Plastic drains are another cost cutting alternative for the heaters destined for the home centers. We usually use pro-grade heaters from the supply house like the A.O.Smith ProMax which comes with brass drains.
Here in my neck of south Florida, we can't get G.E. heaters to last the full 6 years, usually in 3-4 years they're leaking like crazy.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks