Replace or just rebuild Delta shower valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

jmcintosh

Reaction score
Hello, After removing an old surround shower I have the valve assembly exposed and easily accessible. Should I replace the whole valve body or just rebuild it? Will I be able to turn the nuts or will it require soldering. I have the soldering tools available to me but wasn't sure if I should take the easy route of rebuilding. The house was built in 82 and I assume that its original to the house.

Thanks!
Jon

Attachments

• Valve1.jpg
    Valve1.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 449
  • Valve2.jpg
    Valve2.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 610
  • Valve3.jpg
    Valve3.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 430
  • Valvle4.jpg
    Valvle4.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 429

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Replace it.

A new valve will cost pretty much what the repair to that one will be. However, a new valve will be pressure balanced, have a better assortment of trims, and have a sturdier valve body. The new stuff is much better.
Absolutly replace it.

Also, getting trim for the old style diverter valve that you have can be a big problem.

jmcintosh

Reaction score
OK Thanks! Any recommendations on what to replace it with? I have no idea what to ask or shop for. This will be for the baby's room if that matters?

jmcintosh

Reaction score
Great! Should those threaded nuts on either side be able to turn(after soaking in vinegar) or will it definitely be a solder job?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would re-do the pipes leading to the new faucet as well. Just cut them off and start from scratch.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Those are NOT "nuts' they are adapters so they will NOT "loosen" no matter what you soak them in. Just cut the pipes and start over. It will DEFINITELY be a "solder job", if for no other reason than that the new valve's connections will probably be in a different location relative to the wall's surface.

jmcintosh

Reaction score
New valve in place

Got it replaced. Thanks for the good advice. It's nice to have the safety feature for hot water. Now I need to figure out the height for my tub fill spout. The tub is 14 inches tall. Will about 18 inches from the ground be a good height for the tub spout?

Jon

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 403
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 353

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Code says the tub spout must be above the flood rim of the tub...so you can put it anywhere above that height. Get your other half to give you feedback on where it looks best. Also note, some of the valves have a minimum drop from the valve to the level of the tub spout...you do not want to make that shorter than the minimum or you may not be able to put the trim on, or spin the spout on, if you chose one that needs that (HJ and Terry like the Delta pull-down diverter tub spouts...I took their advice and put one in my mother's house, and she likes it, too). From a visual standpoint, it also should take into account the tile size and grout joint placement and whether you're going to have to drill a hole in the tile (and where - some tile don't like that at all!), or it will end up near a joint, and you can nibble out some from adjacent tiles to allow the pipe to pass through the wall. If you need to drill a hole in the tile, that's another tool you may not have. It can be done with a grinder from the back side, but that's more stressful and you may crack a few tiles while you learn the technique.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Your tub spout is going to be very close to the trim of the shower valve. I like to have them 12" on center. But the least I will do is 8"

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks