Replace Old Water Heater?

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by Earnie, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Earnie

Earnie New Member

I moved into a house that has a seventeen year old electric forty gallon American Water Heater. It still appears to provide plenty of hot water for two people. Should I replace it now or wait until it fails?

I have no idea if the anode was ever replaced, but since it is part of the hot water pipe, I have no desire to attempt an anode replacement.

If I replace the unit, anyone have a recommendation on a good manufacturer?

Earnie
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  2. Cass

Cass Plumber

If it starts leaking is it in a part of the house where it will cause any damage?
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

heater

Manufacturer is almost irrelevent. Your anode rod is probably NOT part of the hot water outlet, but by now is also irrelevent. Change the heater when it starts leaking, unless you think it is out to get you.
  4. Earnie

Earnie New Member

Hi Guys,

The water heater is not leaking. It is placed in a closet in the bottom floor bathroom. It sits in a round metal pan. The pan has an overflow tube through the floor into the crawl space. Only issue I need to correct is the overflow tube is not connected to a drain or to a pipe that goes outside. That should be a simple fix.

So are you saying that all electric water heater manufacturers offer quality products?

Earnie
  5. yngwie_69

yngwie_69 New Member

change the tank, thats way to old for a tank.
  6. Furd

Furd Engineer

Seventeen years is not all that old for an electric water heater, my last electric went for eighteen years before it developed a pinhole leak. The leak was small enough that I was able to postpone replacement for at least a week.

I also know of an electric water heater that has been going strong for more than 36 years. I first came upon this heater in 1973 and it wasn't new then, I have no idea just how old it may be.

My current water heater is a Sears gas model and it passed the ten year mark last February. I know that it is on borrowed time but it may go for another year, or maybe several more years. When it goes I'll either have Terry replace it or I'll go to the HD which is only ten minutes away.
  7. Cass

Cass Plumber

Because it is in a pan there is no reason to change it until it leaks...If you wish to part with your $$$ before you need to then by all means install a new one...
  8. Earnie

Earnie New Member

Good point Cass. I'm also wondering how much electricity I'm wasting since the tank's R value is probably low and the heating elements are not what they were when new. I do have a jacket on the tank's exterior.

Earnie
  9. FloridaOrange

FloridaOrange Plumbing Designer

Pan's won't hold the water from a ruptured tank.

See above.

If it were in a garage or unfinished basement then I wouldn't worry about it until you had to, but if it's within living areas there is a possiblity to come home to quite a mess. Think 3/4" supply line just dumping into that closet.
  10. Earnie

Earnie New Member

Good point Matt.

Thanks,

Earnie
  11. Cass

Cass Plumber

Catiastrophic failures are extremely extremely rare...and happen at any time in a water heaters life...old heaters have no more than new ones...

The water heater pan will handel 99.99% of the leaks...thats why they are required in areas where a leak can cause damage..

I say leave it until it leaks...but it is your choice...
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  12. FloridaOrange

FloridaOrange Plumbing Designer

13. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

14. Thatguy

Thatguy Homeowner

According to my gas heater lifetimes, if it were a gas heater you'd have a 50-50 chance of reaching 20 yrs.

Scaling up for an elec. heater I'd say you have till 21 years.

BTW, I have hardly any elec. water heater lifespan data, so if any knows of how long their elec. heater lasted I'd like to know. This info is useful in making repair/replace decisions.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  15. delta d

delta d New Member

if it's not broke,you know.
  16. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

heaters

In this area an electric water heater will last about half as long as a gas one, usually about 8 years. Adding a water softener increases it considerably.