Replace kinetico heads with different style, possible?

Users who are viewing this thread

David Andruczyk

Reaction score
I have an old Kinetico Model 60 (dual tank) that came with the house we purchased last year. It's about 17 years old. I found it wasn't worked shortly after we moved in and spent many hours, cleaning and rebuilding the entire unit including scrubbing out the brine tank (the previous owner used rock salt at least once at one point), it's float/valves and rebuilding the control heads and removing the 17 years of hard water/mineral deposits that have built up in the unit. It DOES soften water now, but still occasionally screws things up (sometimes after a regen we get salty water for a while, sometimes not). and it is still not softening down to near zero Gpg as hoped as deposits are showing up again on faucets and I'm fed up with the kinetico's tempramental issues.

The entire well processing system consists of the well, hydrogen peroxide injection via stenner pump where the water comes into the house, static mixer, pressure tank, 40 gallon contact tank, 9x48 charcoal filter tank with Fleck 5600 backwashing valve, 20um particulate filter, the kinetico model 60 softener followed by a 5um filter and a UV sanitizer. All of that is necessary as the raw well water has a nasty sulfur smell, high dissolved solids, is very hard and has occasional bacteria from the farm across the street. The hot water (propane) tank uses a powered anode in lieu of the factory magnesium or aluminum anodes.

The kinetico softener DOES have the correct wheel (#4) and float/notch settings as per the factory manuals for the raw well water which is very hard at 28gpg (tested via titration test kit 4x and averaged together).

It is using the appropriate Softener grade Morton Sodium chloride salt, and IS using salt as expected.

The resin was replaced last summer (expensive).

Kinetico as a company SUCKS to deal with, there are no dealers within a reasonable distance of my location, and getting information about their products from corporate or the nearest dealer was far more difficult than it should have been. I find their design innovative in some respects and poor in others (bad ideas like full line pressure on the brine line when not in regeneration, so if that valve leaks you have a potentially gigantic mess on your hands if you failed to run the overflow to a proper drain))

I'm looking to see if the experts here know if there is a way that I can swap out the control heads and keep my existing tanks/resin/tubes and use an off-the-shelf head set that is DESIGNED for two tanks (like the kinetico model 60), as well as replacing the brine float valve with one that isn't a proprietary kinetico product. From what I know the tanks are STANDARD threads 2.5" 8tpi. The new heads would have to be able to reliably soften water as hard as 30+gpg. Power hookup is no problem, as there is already power to run the backwashing charcoal filter. I'd prefer a metered valve so as to not be wasting as much water+H2O2 and wear-and-tear on my well pump with a brain-dead timed unit.

Basically I want to reuse my two (kinetico) tanks (8x48), with the riser tubes (1" OD) and resin (new last fall) and brine drum (I know the brine float valve assembly would need to be changed to be something not kinetico specific.)

Part numbers, thoughts and ideas are welcome

Thanks!

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
You may wish to compare obtaining a single tank valve (Fleck 5600SXT or 7000SXT) along with a new 12" X 54" tank vs a dual head valve. The larger single tank would hold both tanks of resin and maybe a less expensive option.

David Andruczyk

Reaction score
You may wish to compare obtaining a single tank valve (Fleck 5600SXT or 7000SXT) along with a new 12" X 54" tank vs a dual head valve. The larger single tank would hold both tanks of resin and maybe a less expensive option.

The problem with that is that it would regenerate using hard water (most twin tank systems regenerate using already softened water), and during regeneration I would have (very) hard water. I prefer to not have to purchase yet another tank too, if I can reuse what I have, which makes it less likely I would need to cut my system apart too badly to get the new heads to fit and line up with the existing (extensive) plumbing

David Andruczyk

Reaction score
Love your comment. I've been helping people that own a Kinetico for years because of their practices.
Either one of these valves will be great. http://waterpurification.pentair.com/en-US/product/fleck/9000/ Brass version
http://waterpurification.pentair.com/en-US/product/fleck/9100/ Plastic version

Thanks!, both of those look excellent. I'm leaning towards the plastic one, as due to the poor quality of my raw water, the previous water filtering system plumbing had pretty significant deposits/corrosion, though I replaced it all with PVC, as the original plumbing of the system was a hodge-podge mess of copper, pvc and cpvc. The remaining plumbing in the house is copper at this point, and if it ever fails due to the corrosive water, it'll probably get replaced 100% with PEX. Being a ranch with full basement, all plumbing is accessible.

Bannerman

Reaction score
it would regenerate using hard water
True, but why is that a concern?
and during regeneration I would have (very) hard water.
Regeneration is programmed to occur when little to no water is being used, usually during the night when the home occupants are normally sleeping.
I prefer to not have to purchase yet another tank too,
My suggestion is to consider the cost, benefits and drawbacks of both options.
Your plumbing connections will likely need to be altered regardless. You may wish to consider flexible connection lines: http://falconstainless.com/product/...h-3402-34-i-d-water-heatersoftener-connector/

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Hard water vs soft water regeneration is an old topic and fun to discuss, but in general, it has no bearing except in very rare cases, residential is almost never included in this scenario.
The 9100SXT is your best choice. The older 9000 is nearly identical to the 9100, but is really only used by a few companies still, no real good reason to other than to say it is a "heavy commercial grade" brass valve. The Plastic valve body of the 9100... lets just say I have never had a warranty replacement on one, the brass body, while warranties are almost non existent, the valve bodies can get damaged over time unlike the plastic bodies and we do see a few valve body sales each year. The valve bodies are usually 10+ years old that are getting replaced and usually in some failry difficult waters. We use a lot of 9000 for hot water applications, rarely for cold.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks