Replace HW heater anode rod ... Bradford White combination outlet/rod

Users who are viewing this thread

Tbbarch

Reaction score
Looking at inspecting / replacing anode rod on Bradford White hot water heater.

Fit?
If the tank is 58 1/2" tall and the rod is 44+" long how is it supposed to fit?
58 1/2 + 44 = 102 1/2" floor to ceiling for a 97 1/4" Fl to Clg space.

Am I correct that the tank has to be emptied and tilted to get the rod fairly straight in.
That would be about 20 degrees out of plumb, requiring moving the gas line and water supply lines.

Number of hands?
Not having man handled a HW tank before, is it a two man job to tilt and pull/replace the anode rod?

Other options?
I have read about "sausage" anode rods but do not see such a thing for Bradford White.
Are there other options to the manufacturers replacement part?

For something made to extend the life of a water heater it does not look designed to actually be done.
Are there recommendations on hot water heaters with good performance records and easy to maintain anode rods?

Reach4

Reaction score
Pheonix Light Duty http://www.htproducts.com/phoenixldwaterheater.html has a stainless steel tank. People speak well of it. It has no anode because it does not need one.

I have a powered anode. That would fit in easily. It is not cheap, but it has some advantages. I will move it to my next WH if I need one.

Look for flexible anode on this page: http://waterheatertimer.org/Replace-anode-rod.html

Expect to need an impact wrench (with a 1-1/8 impact socket) to remove the old anode. They over-torque them at the factory, and time does not help. You can use a lot less torque to put the new anode in place. I used Teflon tape, and the threads readily cut through the tape to allow the needed electrical contact.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks