Replace Ferrule Or Not, And Other Rookie Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

PM5K

Reaction score
I don't know if this is the equivalent to electrical outlets with the ground plug on the top or the bottom but I wanted to ask:

Should you always replace the ferrule when replacing a cut off valve?

I'm pretty sure that if it shows signs of wear or damage it should be replaced, but if it's in good shape, is it ok to reuse, would a good plumber reuse it?

This also might be the same type of question, I've read not to put anything on the threads of a compression valve, and some that say you should, thoughts?

Also, two more questions, what about teflon tape or equivalent on the two ends of the supply line, let's say on a toilet, yes or no?

Sorry about the rookie questions.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You Win!:D You are the one hundreth poster to ask this question:D ( and you will get about 40 replies also. Anyway, if the nut and ring are in good shape, and they fit the new valve go ahead and re-use them.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

Old valve OFF, new valve ON, period. No new ferrule unless the copper tube is damaged and has to be cut off, and no "compound" on the ferrule either.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I would rather deal with 1000 ernest rookie questions that 1 from a know-it-all rookie.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
To save time, perhaps there should be FAQ section for questions that get repeat business.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
idea

Great idea, except it would be like a dictionary for words you don't know how to spell. No one would know where to find what they were looking for.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Best thing you could do is probably write up a generic answer to some of these FAQ's and save them on your PC for cutting and pasting. I've got a few that I usually go back and search for then cut and paste...

I'd probably be better off saving them on my own PC for reuse.
sometimes searching can be fun:(

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
There is a search function here and on other forums but I often find google to be more effective than the forum search engines...

Kinda like I know I wrote it where the hell is it!:confused:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks