Replace Duct vs. Manual Damper

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by jevonmckinzie, May 11, 2009.

1. jevonmckinzie

jevonmckinzie New Member

I am remodeling my home, and I am adding more insulation to the walls and sealing all the air leaks. Basically, some rooms get more air than other rooms. I am wondering if it is possible to install a manual damper inside the duct or is it better to replace the branch duct with a smaller one.

For example, in the bathroom on the main floor, the current duct is a 6" round duct, which delivers about 100 CFM. However, the room is only 40 sq. feet and really only needs 30CFM, or a 4" round duct.

I plan on having a variable speed furnace installed that is sized correctly, because the current unit is a single stage and it basically dumps about half of the rated CFM into the basement, which makes it feel like an oven in the winter and a freezer in the summer.
  2. 3m

3m New Member

When they install a new furnance have this installed then you can balance the airflow, they must be installed on all supply lines off the main trunk

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2009
  3. jevonmckinzie

jevonmckinzie New Member

Thanks!!! Seems like a much cheaper solution.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

air flow

The cheapest solution would be to close the dampers on the registers so they let less air through.
  5. Thatguy

Thatguy Homeowner

While maintaining reasonable air flow thru the HX.