Replace cast iron trap with PVC

Users who are viewing this thread

mhopper

Reaction score
I recently completed renovating a shower in a pier and beam home from the 50's

The shower has been dormant for close to 2 years. When I went to use it for the first time after the renovation, the drain clogged and backed up.

I tried to use a hand auger to clear the trap, but it seems fairly solidly clogged, so I had an inclination to replace the P trap. It is cast iron, and I would replace it with PVC, which the shower drain starts out as initially.

I have posted some pictures and have some questions about the task. I have no waste plumbing experience and this is my home.

I assume that I can cut the cast iron pipe (2-1/2 inches) with a soil pipe cutter downstream of where the P trap connects to the run that leads away from the shower and replace all the cast iron with a PVC trap of the same diameter as the cast iron and connect the CI to the PVC with (from what I have read on this forum) "Mission style" no-hub couplings. I assume that I should replace the existing coupling that now connects the shower drain PVC to the cast iron.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan for a first timer? Thanks for any help!

Pictures attached:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would cut the Cast Iron with a sawzall instead of snapping it.
Use either a Lenox Gold 14 tpi blade, a carbide blade or, a Lenox Diamond Blade.
Sometimes snappers crush tender old cast iron instead of cutting it.
Use banded couplings...

mhopper

Reaction score
Thanks Redwood. I used a diamond blade on the sawzall and it only took about 5 minutes. The CI seems to be in good shape. I used some no-hub couplings to hook up a new PVC p-trap and all appears to be well.

Thanks for the advice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks