Replace bathtub drain

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by amdskip, Jan 30, 2008.

1. amdskip

amdskip New Member

Hi all, I'm in the middle of a bathroom remodeling project (everything getting replaced except the tub) and I want to replace the drains. The problem is getting to the connections to replace them.

http://picasaweb.google.com/skippysg/HouseInProgress/photo#5160354166477381346

Various pictures there. I cannot physically get in there to get it apart and I'm not even sure what size it is. I've even tried vise grips. The connection is basically above the kitchen soffit. If anyone has any suggestions please feel free to share. Thanks!
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

drain

It is a common 1 1/2" tub waste and overflow. As far as getting to it, you may have to get creative and try various wrenches. I would probably use a large basin wrench after disconnecting the tub drain and overflow plate for the piping.