Replace ABS Closet bend tight space

Users who are viewing this thread

Mcdonaldb

Reaction score
Im doing a bathroom remodel, replacing vinyl flooring with tile and because of the new buildup for the tile,my closet flange was too low. The old closet flange came down through the floor to a short maybe 15" horizontal piece of pipe that is just about 3"s below the subfloor and then into the main stack. I cut into that 15" piece of horizontal and removed the old flange and closet bend. So as i go to assemble a new 4x3 closet bend im finding it almost impossible to get this back in due to the fact that the closet bend will have to come down through the floor and glue into the horizontal pipe. What is the trick to this, can i use a 3" flexible mission coupling on that horizontal, or is there some other way of doing this without cutting a small section of sub floor out to get this in.

Mcdonaldb

Reaction score
It's the direction that you need to work in.
You build out the horizontal first, add the 90, then drop the vertical in last.

Terry, its a closet bend, so it is my 90, the horizontal is just below the sub floor so to get the closet bend onto the horizontal the angle dosnt allow for them to come together straight. and there is no play in that short horizontal.

Mcdonaldb

Reaction score
what if i use a short elbow, that might be below the floor entirely? Or a 3" street elbow, that would be smaller than a 4x3 closet bend, a 3x3 closet bend would be ideal, but i cannot find one.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most places like Lowes or Home Depot have those. Stores like Ace may not. You can also use a 4x3 spigot closet bend, and cut off what you don't need. a 4" hub flange works on those.

Mcdonaldb

Reaction score
Most places like Lowes or Home Depot have those. Stores like Ace may not. You can also use a 4x3 spigot closet bend, and cut off what you don't need. a 4" hub flange works on those.

yeah i have a 4 x 3
It is a "one piece" closet bend and he has to have room to line it up with the hub before he can slide it back into the joint.

Exactly,

Mcdonaldb

Reaction score
Here are some photos, i did try to get a 4x3 on there and it just wouldnt go, ive cleaned off the abs glue as best as i could on the vertical, hopefully i can still apply a new fitting over it.

Attachments

• 20160916_140324.jpg
    20160916_140324.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 479
  • 20160916_140335.jpg
    20160916_140335.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 439

Mcdonaldb

Reaction score
I put a street elbow on and purchased a 2 1/2" closet flange. The opening is alittle large where a few holes in the flange wont have subfloor, i will backer the subfloor with a 2x4 to make up that gap.

Attachments

• 20160916_154228.jpg
    20160916_154228.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 422
  • 20160916_153801.jpg
    20160916_153801.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 484

MKS

Reaction score
You could carefully cut the plywood subfloor and have the room you need to operate. Then replace the subfloor.

Reaction score
without cutting a small section of sub floor out to get this in.
You're getting a bit too OCD about that, thinking m.c.hammer "ooh u can't touch this".

You should be grateful you have a spacious basement below to do whatever you fancy. Most people have to deal with concrete and ground.

One can easy demo and make whatever holes they want in the plywood floor/studs/joists and put it all back with proper reinforcement.

You may or may not have the DIY skills for this.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks