Replace 2 " galvenized at vent stack

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by LittleLisa, Apr 20, 2009.

1. LittleLisa

LittleLisa New Member

My house is 50yrs+ old and I am remodeling the downstairs bathroom. Since I have plumbing and drains exposed, I would like to replace the galvenized to PVC for the upstairs shower/tub drain. After I cut the 2" galvenized pipe close enough to the vent stack that I can still get a flex coupler attached, should I attempt to unthread the rest from the vent stack? How difficult will this be since I can't even break it loose to unscrew it from up above (hence cutting it instead)? The old galvenized pipe looks rusted at the vent stack and some of the old lead seal is coming out, but I"m afraid to break old vent stack it's looks in good condition and do not want to go down that road! Is there a way to make it easier to remove pipe from vent stack without breaking stack?
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Lisa, Can you post a picture of this connection?
  3. LittleLisa

LittleLisa New Member

At vent stack

Hopefully this works

Attached Files:

4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

If your camera has a macro mode, try that...it's hard to tell from what you've posted. Depending on the camera, it may be an icon like a flower or something like that. That will allow it to focus closer.
  5. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Or just back up a foot...
    that would be much better.
  6. LittleLisa

LittleLisa New Member

maybe this is better

Attached Files:

7. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

I would just cut the pipe and attach the new to the stub using a Fernco Proflex banded rubber coupling....