Repairing watersaver flush valve

Users who are viewing this thread

AndrewCrossett

Reaction score
I'm dealing with a toilet that has a watersaver type flush valve in which the flush handle connects directly to the overflow pipe and lifts the entire mechanism to flush.

This has worked without trouble for many years, but now every so often the valve fails to seal off after a flush. I'll come back five minutes after flushing to find the water still running and the tank not filling.

This doesn't happen every flush...there may be days of normal flushes between these incidents. But it's annoying to have to monitor the toilet after every flush to make sure it's shutting off properly.

The valve doesn't seem to leak when the mechanism is properly seated. There's no water running into the bowl when the toilet is not in use.

Is there any way to correct this problem without having to replace the whole valve (and thus take the toilet apart)?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds like a Mansfield 210 or 211 ( if it is a flat red rubber seal.) 208/209 if it is black with a ridge on it. These are common, and easy to replace.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If it is the red seal it snaps into a groove on the bottom of the flush valve, If its the black one it snaps over the bottom of the part that goes up and down. In either case shut off water to the toilet, remove the bowl refill tube from the top of the overflow and unscrew the stop cap off the top. You will then be able to remove the part of the valve that goes up and down to make the repair.

210sm.jpg
6304837sm.jpg
6300030sm.jpg

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Often the tank lever binds against the flush tower. Warm the plastic with a lighter and bend it for clearance in th loop of the flush tower.

larrysusan2002

Reaction score
fix the 208 flush valve of mansfield

The fix wil vary with the make and model. What toilet do you have?

Two of the three teeth holding the copper tube in place are worn out. Cut a piece of rubber tubing and put it around the worn out teeth. This will insure the flush valve align straight and drop properly to have the tight seal.

Last edited:

larrysusan2002

Reaction score
fix the 208 flush valve of mansfield

The fix wil vary with the make and model. What toilet do you have?

Two of the three teeth holding the copper tube in place are worn out. Cut a piece of rubber tubing and put it around the worn out teeth. This will insure the flush valve align straight and drop properly to have the tight seal.

jessehanson2001

Reaction score
Can you order the very top of the water saver valve? Part number 5? mine broke on 2 of our mansfield toilets, and i dont want to keep buying the whole valve system when is just the little peice at the top that screws on? i would buy a hand full to keep in stock if they break all the time.

This is what it has on the part says:
mansfield water saver number 5
PAT 2693601 & 2945239

Ellen Eliason

Reaction score
Jessehanson2001--Did you ever find these. I need one too. Thanks.

Ellen

Can you order the very top of the water saver valve? Part number 5? mine broke on 2 of our mansfield toilets, and i dont want to keep buying the whole valve system when is just the little peice at the top that screws on? i would buy a hand full to keep in stock if they break all the time.

This is what it has on the part says:
mansfield water saver number 5
PAT 2693601 & 2945239

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks