Repairing watersaver flush valve

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by AndrewCrossett, Jul 18, 2008.

1. AndrewCrossett

AndrewCrossett New Member

I'm dealing with a toilet that has a watersaver type flush valve in which the flush handle connects directly to the overflow pipe and lifts the entire mechanism to flush.

This has worked without trouble for many years, but now every so often the valve fails to seal off after a flush. I'll come back five minutes after flushing to find the water still running and the tank not filling.

This doesn't happen every flush...there may be days of normal flushes between these incidents. But it's annoying to have to monitor the toilet after every flush to make sure it's shutting off properly.

The valve doesn't seem to leak when the mechanism is properly seated. There's no water running into the bowl when the toilet is not in use.

Is there any way to correct this problem without having to replace the whole valve (and thus take the toilet apart)?
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

The fix wil vary with the make and model. What toilet do you have?
  3. AndrewCrossett

"Mansfield"...although this toilet has been here longer than I have, and I can't be sure that's the original flush valve.
  4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Sounds like a Mansfield 210 or 211 ( if it is a flat red rubber seal.) 208/209 if it is black with a ridge on it. These are common, and easy to replace.
  5. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

If it is the red seal it snaps into a groove on the bottom of the flush valve, If its the black one it snaps over the bottom of the part that goes up and down. In either case shut off water to the toilet, remove the bowl refill tube from the top of the overflow and unscrew the stop cap off the top. You will then be able to remove the part of the valve that goes up and down to make the repair.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Mansfield

Make sure the problem is not the trip lever sticking and keeping the flush valve up in the air.
  7. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Often the tank lever binds against the flush tower. Warm the plastic with a lighter and bend it for clearance in th loop of the flush tower.
  8. AndrewCrossett

Thanks for the help. I'll replace that seal and see how it goes.
  9. larrysusan2002

larrysusan2002 New Member

fix the 208 flush valve of mansfield

Two of the three teeth holding the copper tube in place are worn out. Cut a piece of rubber tubing and put it around the worn out teeth. This will insure the flush valve align straight and drop properly to have the tight seal.
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  10. larrysusan2002

larrysusan2002 New Member

fix the 208 flush valve of mansfield

Two of the three teeth holding the copper tube in place are worn out. Cut a piece of rubber tubing and put it around the worn out teeth. This will insure the flush valve align straight and drop properly to have the tight seal.
  11. jessehanson2001

jessehanson2001 New Member

Can you order the very top of the water saver valve? Part number 5? mine broke on 2 of our mansfield toilets, and i dont want to keep buying the whole valve system when is just the little peice at the top that screws on? i would buy a hand full to keep in stock if they break all the time.

This is what it has on the part says:
    mansfield water saver number 5
    PAT 2693601 & 2945239
  12. Ellen Eliason

Ellen Eliason New Member

Jessehanson2001--Did you ever find these. I need one too. Thanks.

Ellen