Repairing small chips on bathtub

Users who are viewing this thread

LJ

Reaction score
Hello,

My run-of-the-mill white bathtub is in very good shape but it has a couple of small areas where the enamel is chipped (chips is approx. 1/4" each.) I purchased something called porcelain ChipFix made by Homax, which is a 2-part epoxy kit. There are instructions on how to apply it, but being a newbie, I need some clarification on prepping the chipped area.

The instructions say: "Sand chip to smooth edges and ensure adhesion". What do I use to sand it with? If sandpaper, what grit? The exposed iron is a bit rusty. Am I sanding the rust off, and around the spot until there's no loose chips flaking off around the damaged spot?

Then the instructions say: "Clean surface and rinse thoroughly. Allow to dry." There might be some residue of silicone caulk on that spot, but then the sanding will probably take care of cleaning that caulk off. What should I use for a final cleaning after sanding? Alcohol? detergent?

I know these are probably really elementary questions, but I just want to make sure that I'm prepping the areas properly so the touch-up will go on smoothly and cleanly. Thanks for any advice!

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Use 200 grit or higher sandpaper and B sure to get all the silicone off. Silicone will prevent the epoxy from adhearing. Clean the area with alcohol or Windex and dry it well. Then follow mixing and application instructions.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks