Repairing rough in valve

Users who are viewing this thread

momand3kids

Reaction score
We have to repair a poorly installed rough in valve for the bath/shower combo which means going in through the wall with the tiles :mad:
The contractor is planning on cutting a hole where he needs to, repairing what he needs to, and then I guess repairing the wall over the hole and then putting the tiles over that.

Is that kosher, or does the whole wall need to be replaced? I guess I am worried about water leaking around the edges of the hole.

Thanks for the advice!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If possible, it is better to go in from behind, leaving the tile intact.

The tile will not come off in one piece, so hopefully you have some spares since matching an old install is very unlikely.

There are repair eschutceons that can cover up a larger hole which may be a possibility.

If you have the tile to replace, a decent repair can be made. All edges of the patch need to be supported properly, the edges reinforced with alkali resistant mesh tape and then the tile thinsetted back in place.

If you can't find or don't have the matching tile, you may be able to make a decorative feature with some complementary tile. While it may take longer for the plumbing repair, you can often replace a valve with a fairly small hole. Choice is more time there, or more time fixing the wall.

Often, a valve can be repaired, it doesn't need to be replaced. Are you sure you can't repair it?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks