Repairing Pe Black Water Pipe Underground

Users who are viewing this thread

Tickridgescott

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am connecting up my water system and did a pressure test on the incoming line from the cistern to the house. Last year when i connected the 1.25" black Plastic water pipe from the cistern I hooked on to the galvanized Barbed fitting with the black pipe. At that time I did not know how to correctly do it and added silicon to the fitting and then overheated it and also it is only 1/2 way on the barbed fitting. It leaks.

I really do not want to run the 100' all the way to the house again having to did up EVERYTHING. I would just like to cut the pipe back and do a repair. I was think about using some 90 degree bends and so forth so I would have room to put it in. Does anyone have any advise on whether it is permittable to make these underground repairs. I really hope i do not have to put in a whole new line.

Thanks,

Scott

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know if it is "permittable" but it is not connected to a municipal system and you are able to do your own work. If it were mine, I would do it.

You will avoid some digging if you use elbows but it will add at least one fitting. I have never seen brass insert elbows.

I have found Schedule 80 PVC unions at Home Depot and at Graingers. If you use a union, you would avoid the need for the extra poly joint. If you get a threaded union, you could use male adapters and would need only two connections for the poly. Since you are fixing a leaky connection, you may not have to add any pipe.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Plumbing supplys carry the brass barbed fittings.

I don't know any plumber that doesn't use brass.
They only sell galvanized ones in the home centers for homeowners.

If you dig up a few feet of ditch, you should be able to bend the pipe up and then down again the make the connection.
Well, a plumber with strong arms could.

Or like Bob mentioned, you could use a brass or other type of union.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks