Repairing gas pipe covering

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by rdtompki, Jan 13, 2007.

1. rdtompki

rdtompki New Member

I've got an underground gas line that is the variety with a yellow coating. Trenching by hand for another line the coating got a bit nicked up in places. What's the proper procedure for repairing the coating?

Rick
  2. markts30

markts30 Commercial Plumber

If it is yellow, it might be just a plastic pipe - We use plastic pipe underground all the time...
    If it is plastic there whould be a tracer wire on the pipe...
    If this is the case you might want to have someone come out and look at the pipe to ensure you did not damage the pipe itself...
  3. rdtompki

rdtompki New Member

The pipe is definitely iron and has probably been in the ground for 15 years. Appears to be in good condition, but I have nicked some of the yellow plastic sheath. Where this pipe rises out of the ground at the pool heater the covering is split and the iron pipe underneath is somewhat rusted.

Rick
  4. Randyj

Randyj Master Plumber

I guess I've just never been around gas much but recently had a propane tank installed and the installer used 1/2" soft copper which has a yellow sheath over it. If you're reasonably certain that the pipe is not compromised you could just tape it up really good or use a neoprene coating painted on. A product is sold called Liquid Tape which is pretty good for things like that...or you could put a good gob of roofing cement on it.... Silicone would probably work also.
  5. Phil H2

Phil H2 New Member