Repairing a Foot Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

casual176

Reaction score
I recently purchased a home this winter that had a deep well pump hooked up to a sprinkler system. This spring I primed the pump for the first time but it would not maintain pressure.
The pressure would gradually drop from about 50 psi to 35 psi aprrox every 15 minutes causing the pump to kick on until the pressure reached 50 again and then shut off.
A well repair company came to look at and said it was the foot valve. They told me the foot valve could NOT be replaced and that I would have drill a new well. This didn't sit right with me.
I need to know if a foot valve can be fixed (the well is approx. 90 feet deep and the pump is in my crawl space) or if I am heading towards having a new well drilled.

CharlieNH

Reaction score
foot valve

I just had a well/pump service company at my house last week to replace the deep well jet pump in my basement, and I asked them about the foot valve replacement situation. Mine is fine now, but I wanted to know what might lie ahead. My pump connects with the well with PVC pipe, and I believe that PVC goes down the well too. They would pull it up and put on a new footvalve, which connects to both pipes going down. They said there were conditions where it would be harder, such as if the pipe going down were steel. But they never mentioned redrilling the well. However, I suspect that still depends on the type and diameter of the well. Maybe there are condiitons where there is no casing and the pipes are totally embedded in sand or stone so you can't get them out. You should be able to determine that by locating your well and seeing what is at the wellhead, which may be above ground or may be accessibel from a surface or buried manhole in your yard.

Speedbump

Reaction score
The only reason I can think of why the Footvalve can't be replaced would be the Well being under the house or in an area where it would be impossible to pull the pipes from the Well.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks