Repairing a Delta Shower Faucet

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by sunsetcliffs98, Mar 29, 2010.

1. sunsetcliffs98

sunsetcliffs98 New Member

I have a Delta shower faucet that I just noticed has a slow drip from the handle. I took some of it apart to make sure that it was not leaking behind the tile and amazingly it was not. I went to HD to ask for help and they asked me what the part number of the part was. I have no clue. It looks original to the home from 40 years ago. They then said that I should be able to replace a couple of gaskets and springs to take care of the issue. Does this sound right?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Most (all?) Delta valves are generally easy to repair. Many of them use the same parts, and yes, all it may take is some springs and o-rings. One of the pros will probably recognize the valve so you can get the needed parts. You're better off with 'real' parts than generic ones (i.e., made by Delta).
  3. sunsetcliffs98

sunsetcliffs98 New Member

There was a pack from Delta with two springs and two gaskets for $5.00. There was a pack with four springs (two sizes) and two gaskets for $4.00. I haven't opened it yet but went for the product with four springs but it looks like third party product.
  4. Winslow

Winslow Plumber

That is the delta ball assy acrylic handle valve. Delta sels a repair kit that includes (2) springs, (2) rubber seats, the ball assembly and the packing. If you don't see the ss ball in the kit you may have to buy it seperately, wch is advisable. Just look for the acrylic handle repair kit.

Shut off the water and replace the parts. When disassembling the valve do not use a wrench or pliers on the valve or you may shear the assembly in half. If you cannot remove the bonnet cap by hand tap on the side of the handle around the edges until you can remove it by hand. It is a fairly easy valve to repair as long as the water shutts off completely.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2010