Repair to fancy sink trap ensemble

Users who are viewing this thread

Mahnrut

Reaction score
Hello

I hope someone can advise. We have a 3 year old italian Cono sink (8010/R) with a pop up drain which has been damaged so no longer closes. We don't need this drain to close and would like to replace it with a regular grid drain assembly. We do some plumbing but are not sure what would fit since it is european.

Any advise much welcomed. The original chrome on the ring around the sink opening has pitted even though this sink is rarely used so we are not eager to pay the big bucks to get another one like it anyway. Thanks

Attachments

• cono sink etc 001.jpg
    cono sink etc 001.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 314
  • cono sink etc 002.jpg
    cono sink etc 002.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 292

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Maybe not Terry.

Some of those Euro fittings only fit each other.....

Is the bottom pipe above the Euro PTrap the same size as 1 1/4" stainless pipe?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Maybe not Terry.

Some of those Euro fittings only fit each other.....

Is the bottom pipe above the Euro PTrap the same size as 1 1/4" stainless pipe?

I'm referring to the lav on the wall.
That's standard. If you pull the drain assembly, you can replace it with any standard lav drain.
Right now, they have a bottle trap for a p-trap. That might be reusable, or if not, a 1-1/4" P-trap

Mahnrut

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated. When we took it apart and cleaned it all up of the calcium deposits we saw that the cap top unscrewed so in future we can keep the crud off without having to force the cap up. But having done that the stopper now seals and as I think that we would have to replace the whole lot (and it was several hundred dollars) we are keeping it for the time being. That being said we saw a lot of bad pitting of the chrome where it joins the porcelain and only after 3 years and little use so I would hesitate to spend the over $300 on this Nameek drain set up again. What we did notice was that the drain did not have an overflow hole although we purchased it all together with the sink. Apparently the plumber did not notice when installing either. We have put it back together hesitating to make a hole in the drain for any overflow water to drain into not knowing exactly how to gauge where to drill this. Thanks again.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Many European sinks have no overflow - the European bathroom's build with secondary back up drains because of this.

There are two types of sink kits to order. One with an overflow and one without an overflow.

Not sure you can simply drill a hole in your old one - there might be more to the overall design.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks