Repair pierced vent pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

SLB

Reaction score
I recently mounted a small cabinet over a toilet. I could only locate one stud behind the cabinet and therefore had to use some dry wall anchors. While drilling the holes for the anchors, I hit an ABS vent pipe in the wall. Fortunately, I stopped before I drilled all the way through the vent pipe . But if I had, what would be the proper recourse? The vent pipe in question goes up into the attic crawl space and then makes a 45 degree bend and ties into a 2" vent that extends up through the roof.

It seems like this could be a common occurrence. Would it be necessary to remove the dry wall above the toilet and plug the 1/4" drill hole? What would be the risk that rain water would leak out through the hole?

Regards,
Steve

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
My unprofessional opinion is that it should be plugged, but since it does not have to hold water and/or pressure, the plug can be as simple as a sheet metal screw that is slightly larger than the hole. You would not have to cut out too much drywall since you know where you punched the hole. Just cut out a small area, install the screw, and patch the hole. I'll assume you know how to patch drywall, but if not email me and Ill give you some help.

CaptWally

Reaction score
Gary's right, and rain is not necessarily a concern, because the vent on the roof is such a small opening. I would fill the hole with some strong epoxy compound such as marine-tex or JB Weld, then cover it with tape or a rubber fernco fitting, just on the outside chance that someone someday has to snake the drain from that vent on the roof.

Plumguy

Reaction score
Well, I think you have been given good advice and that is the way I would of repaired it out in the field. I would be comfortable with using epoxy on such a small hole. Also, they do make epoxy for abs and pvc.

SLB

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I do know how to patch small areas of drywall. But for larger openings, I'd have to hire someone to do the repair for it to look good. :)

-Steve

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks