Repair or Replace? RS EC4

Users who are viewing this thread

Justin Nielsen

Reaction score
Hello all,
My EC4 Rainsoft system has been flawless the last 15 years. However, the last 3 days I have been testing, checking, cleaning and testing some more to fix a "brine tank full of water" scenario. So started with obvious solutions listed on these forums and youtube. Everything looks fantastic on the inside and I was confused. On day 3 found that one of the Brine Cam lobes was missing (Didn't know there was supposed to be 2!). Long story short, parts prices come to over $100, but not sure if the plastics that hold the motor are going to last. the whole housing flexes as the motor moves the piston and even worse when brine cam engages (brine valve was refurbed and opens smooth now).

So, My delimma I need smart folks for:
$100+ for parts to fix current issue
$240 for complete new Fleck 5600SXT Valve
OR
Go the whole 9 with a 5600 and new resin beads?

Thank you for any insight! Wife is complaining about the hard water already... :-D

Justin

Bannerman

Reaction score
To clarifiy, water source - private well or municipal?
Hardness amount in the water at your location?
If well water, the iron and manganese amounts?
Any other water treatment systems in use?
Estimated water usage or number of house occupants?
Total capacity of the current system or dimensions of the resin tank?

Justin Nielsen

Reaction score
To clarifiy, water source - private well or municipal?
Hardness amount in the water at your location?
If well water, the iron and manganese amounts?
Any other water treatment systems in use?
Estimated water usage or number of house occupants?
Total capacity of the current system or dimensions of the resin tank?
City water, 24gr hardness. Unknown other amounts
Have an RO system in kitchen from rainsoft as well
3 adults and 3 children
2 tank system, "160k gal whole house" from specification

Thanks!
Justin

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
If your RO is as old as the softener, time to replace. Do not buy an online cheapy junk RO, these have a strange tendency to burst in the middle of the night, could be something to do with the fact that they cost $45 complete from China, including the RO, install kit, tank, faucet tube kit etc. It would be like getting a car online that only cost $3000 then wondering why your family was almost killed when it burst into flames. :)

As to the valve, that is a proprietary 5000 ProFlo valve, excellent for its time. When you change the valve, you are going to want to replace the riser, media, and I would also recommend replacing the brine float in the salt tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks