Repair or Replace Case Toilets?

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by coach, Dec 29, 2005.

1. coach

coach New Member

We have 3 Case toilets that we have determined are leaking. Our plumber suggested we replace the Case toilets with new, more efficient ones, which would potentially lead to greater expense as we may need to replace sinks, etc. to match colors. The plumber said our Case toilets would need to be rebuilt inside, and parts cost more than new toilets. This led me to do some research tonight, and I found that Case toilets are expensive and well made, so we might want to repair them vs. replace them. Can an average handyman like myself do the necessary repairs?

Thanks for your advice.
    Coach
  2. You can get replacement parts and DIY it. Repairing toilets isn't that difficult.
    What you will need will depend upon where they're leaking?
    Mike
  3. Bob NH

Bob NH In the Trades

Prices for Case Toilet Parts

Sources for Case Toilet parts. Looks like the plumber was right about the cost.

http://ferrythecat.com/case_toilet.htm

If you Google case toilet parts repair 1000 1100 you will get a site that has a price list for parts. If I paste the URL you will get asterisks.

An altenative might be to get more standard parts and try to rebuild the internals like a normal toilet. You can buy a fill valve and a flapper valve to completely rebuild most toilets for less than $20.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Case

As far as I am concerned the Case low boy toilets were among the best made, but they do have ideosyncracies that make them a challenge to repair. In fact some plumbers refuse to repair them and try to get the homeowner to replace them. Parts are expensive, but you seldom have to replace everything in the tank, unless someone has already done a "handyman" repair and gotten rid of the original pieces. Normally you only need a valve seat, valve stem, black disc, and the tank ball to rebuild them.
  5. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

Case

If I had the original, full size Case I would want to spend the dollars and do the repair on them. We're not talking Toto now.
  6. coach

coach New Member

Case Toilet Repair

Thanks all for your advice. We ordered the Case SP-29 Flush Valve replacement. Upon close examination, it looks like the nut that holds the Flush Valve in place is missing, and the prior owners used "Plumber's Goop" to put it back together. We hope that replacing the Flush Valve will fix the problem.

We appreciate you getting us back on the right track!