Repair or Replace Amtrol Boliermate Classic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Doc_Savage

Reaction score
I have an Amtrol Boilermate Classic model WH-7P indirect hot water heater which is only a few years old and was working perfectly. Recently the Smart Controller on it started making a buzzing sound intermittently. It also would sometimes start my oil burner up 5-6 times in a row over 2 minute period of time. I have shut it down and temporarily switched back over to my old electric hot water heater which I left in line when I installed the Amtrol. Amtrol's technical service tells me that the problem is a relay on the Smart Controller which has gone bad. The only solution they tell me is to replace the entire Smart Controller for about $150-$160.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue?

Surely the relay must be available someplace to allow a cheaper repair than $160 for a whole new Smart Controller, no?

Do you think with the increased cost of oil that an idrect hot water heater still is more efficient than a tank type electric hotwater heater?

How about an oil fired instant hot water heating system or electric?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Doc Savage was one of my favorite set of books as a kid, "The man of bronze".
Amtrol is a good indirect, but I refer my cusomers to Superstor (made by "Heat Transfer Products"), for two VERY good reasons.
The parts in an amtrol are buried, as you're now discovering.
You are stuck having to buy Amtrol's controller, where a superstor you install the relay, be it a honeywell, Taco or whatever you choose...all you need is 110/24 volt compatible (which is universal on boilers).
There is no question that an indirect heater is MUCH more efficient than a regular tank type.
An electric tank type would raise the cost of your energy bill significantly over an infirect.
Test this, leave your electric on for a month by itself, then compare the bills from last month.
My guess is you'd have lost that $160 within 6 months to a year depending on family size.

joeholms

Reaction score
Yes- I have expirienced your same problem. My smart control on the Boilermate failed as well. Apparently they are supposed to be wired to 24v and not 120v. Amtrol customer sevice was very good about sending me a replacement at no charge. This wiring change is supposed to extend the life of the Smart Control (which is only warrantyed for 1 yr). My boilermate is 3 yrs old. I simply explained this to the customer service person and they were very helpful. This information came to me from my plumber. Hopefully this helps. JOe

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks