Repair Cracked Drain Pipe in Slab?

Users who are viewing this thread

mezz64

Reaction score
Hello,

Long time lurker, first time poster. To make a long story short, part of my basement slab had to be removed to allow enough room for the p-trap to be installed on the already roughed in bathtub drain. I wasn't fond of the chance for error so I ended up hiring a plumber to install the tub as well as run some pex to other places in the basement.

Turns out the plumber broke a hole into a overflow drain line that ran along the foundation into the sump pump while breaking out the slab for the p-trap. He decided not to tell anyone and just left it as-is. Fast-forward a couple weeks, I leak test the tub and find the hole.

At the moment the plumber is refusing to take responsibility. So my question is how complicated is this going to be to fix? I assume I need to break out more of the slab around the broken pipe in order to replace the section? Is there another correct fix that can be performed without breaking out more of the concrete?

Thanks for your help.

mezz64

Reaction score
Did he tie the drain into the weeping tile ?

No. There were existing rough-ins for a tub drain, toilet drain, and a sink drain in the slab. The tub and sink drain locations were fine, but the tub drain was too far back from the wall to match up with a standard 60" tub so more concrete had to be broken out to allow the drain to come up in the right spot. While he was breaking out the concrete he hit the existing pipe.

mezz64

Reaction score
I just did a little google search to refresh my memory on weeping tile, I don't believe thats what the drain line is. It is a white plastic pipe with a thin wall, from the little bit of it I can see there does not appear to be any slits or holes in it.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The repair would entail exposing the broken pipe, cutting out the damaged section and replacing it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks