repack double handle mongrel shower valves

Users who are viewing this thread

mumsta

Reaction score
We have a leak from the spout of our tub. The double handle shower valves do not have any brand name on them that we can see. The house was built in 1962, and the valves are probably original.

We would like to repack the valves, but we are wondering if we can match the stems. We have not had any experience in doing such a project. Is this a homeowner's job, or should we contact a plumber? We have done minor repairs in the past with replacing faucet seats, springs, and stems.

Any constructive advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• garden2008 010.jpg
    garden2008 010.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 552

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
stems

You are mixing tasks. If the stems have packings, then you can just tighten them. If you replace the stems then they have new packings. However, if they have packing nuts, then they may also have to be tightened slightly to prevent stem leaks. But the packings have nothing to do with a spout leak. That is caused by the faucet washers and/or seats being worn.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I do not recognize the handles, but someone might. Stay tuned.

If you can turn off the water and remove a stem, and post a photo, that will be more recognizable.

mumsta

Reaction score
repair leaky shower faucet

I'm leery of pulling out the stem. Sorry, but I just assumed that it would have to be removed. I plead ignorance.

Can someone please explain how to repair the faucet washers and/or seats?

Last edited:

Rombo

Reaction score
two things, take off the handles and post a picture and where do you live that often makes a big diffrence

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

You can create a major problem if you do not remove and replace the faucet parts properly. If you do not know how to do it, and it is normally fairly intuitive, then you might want to call a plumber.

mumsta

Reaction score
You're right. I think we'll call in a plumber.

Thanks for all the input.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks