repack double handle mongrel shower valves

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by mumsta, May 27, 2008.

1. mumsta

mumsta New Member

We have a leak from the spout of our tub. The double handle shower valves do not have any brand name on them that we can see. The house was built in 1962, and the valves are probably original.

We would like to repack the valves, but we are wondering if we can match the stems. We have not had any experience in doing such a project. Is this a homeowner's job, or should we contact a plumber? We have done minor repairs in the past with replacing faucet seats, springs, and stems.

Any constructive advice is appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

stems

You are mixing tasks. If the stems have packings, then you can just tighten them. If you replace the stems then they have new packings. However, if they have packing nuts, then they may also have to be tightened slightly to prevent stem leaks. But the packings have nothing to do with a spout leak. That is caused by the faucet washers and/or seats being worn.
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

I do not recognize the handles, but someone might. Stay tuned.

If you can turn off the water and remove a stem, and post a photo, that will be more recognizable.
  4. mumsta

mumsta New Member

repair leaky shower faucet

I'm leery of pulling out the stem. Sorry, but I just assumed that it would have to be removed. I plead ignorance.

Can someone please explain how to repair the faucet washers and/or seats?
    Last edited: May 28, 2008
  5. rombo

rombo New Member

two things, take off the handles and post a picture and where do you live that often makes a big diffrence
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

faucet

You can create a major problem if you do not remove and replace the faucet parts properly. If you do not know how to do it, and it is normally fairly intuitive, then you might want to call a plumber.
  7. mumsta

mumsta New Member

You're right. I think we'll call in a plumber.

Thanks for all the input.