Renters toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

OZ324

Reaction score
Need some advice.

My renters are complaining about the toilet not flushing well. They say they have to hold the handle a bit too long. Is it worth replacing the flapper valve or other components in the tank, make adjustments or should I just purchase a new toilet? It's in an old city with old pipes, not sure if that makes a difference. It's a low end AS toilet. Any recommendations on decent toilets for renters would be appreciated.

Thanks

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It sounds to me like you are dealing with what is often referred to as a "builder grade" toilet. These a cheap fixtures used by builders because the are cheap and fulfill the requirement of being a toilet. What is not part of the requirement is that the toilet functions well. Now yes, you could try replacing the flush valve and flapper and maybe that might help, but I doubt it. My suggestion is that you replace this low grade toilet with a Toto Drake. This is function well and you will not have to deal with the problems you are now having.

OZ324

Reaction score
It is builder grade, I should have mentioned that. I'll probably just replace it. Was hoping there may be a cheaper quicker alternative. But installing a new toilet isn't all that time consuming anyway.

Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Toilets do not "wear out", so it probably just needs a bit of service work to work like new. There are maintenance items with a toilet that are never done and then people complain when it doesn't work properly.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Agreed with HJ. I would open the tank and check the flapper and fill valve for proper function. Is it just a misadjusted chain that doesn't allow the flapper to "float"? Is the trip handle loose and thus not lifting the flapper fully open? Why are they holding down the handle? That's a sign that perhaps the flapper isn't staying open. If it's a newer toilet (1.6gpf or less), then the flapper should only stay open long enough to dump about half the tank. Try tossing some toilet paper in the thing and see how it flushes with a push-and-release of the handle. Maybe it just needs a new flapper. Also, to save on your water bill, turn off the water to it, mark the level with a pencil, and look an hour later (or more if possible). Is the water still at exactly the same level? If not, then probably you need a new flapper, because water is leaking out of the tank.

Or it could just be a poor toilet. The Toto Entrada is a great-performing toilet at a great price point (around $200), and looks nice too. It's the cheapest Toto I would buy; the cheaper ones aren't so good. The Drake is a bit more expensive, but also a great performer.

OZ324

Reaction score
The local supply house has the drake for 270. This is a low end rental and while I do screen for tenants, any toilet I put in will get abuse. So I don't know if I want to spend that much. I'll look in to the Entrada but are here any other less expensive toilets worth looking at?

SuperSewist

Reaction score
First thought: LimeAway or CLR under the rim with a copper scouring pad, a mirror and a dental pick. Tenants forget they have to clean the toilet once in a while, and get under the rim too, to clean the ports like HJ said. Especially here- we have such hard water it is a common problem. The holes clog up and the water doesn't get out of the tank fast enough to make the bowl swoosh. Plus do all the stuff wjcandee said.
Second thought - Depending on the abuse, the expensive fool-proof Toto will save you $$ in the long run, takes a licking and keeps on ticking - lower chance of clogged toilets means fewer plunging, augers, and clean-out calls. I was not convinced until I put in a Drake. Now I'm not gonna go swap them all out at once, but when one needs replaced, it gets the Toto.

OZ324

Reaction score
Just got back from installing the Entrada. Took me only 90 minutes. I'm sure that's 60 longer than you pros. No hiccups other than the valve was frozen. Shut the water off at the main. I'll replace the valve when these people move out. Forgot to do one thing. I was 15 min in to my drive home when I realized I forgot to sit on the new toilet. Feel kind of dumb about that.

Reach4

Reaction score
Just got back from installing the Entrada. Took me only 90 minutes. I'm sure that's 60 longer than you pros. No hiccups other than the valve was frozen Shut the water off at the main. I'll replace the valve when these people move out.

Glad it was a success. The tenants will like that you got them a nice-flushing toilet.
When you replace that supply stop valve, you want to use a quarter turn ball valve. They are much more reliable with time.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Nice comments, SuperSewist. Enjoyed your post.

OZ324: We'd love to hear how it goes for you and the tenants after it has been in for a while. I'm guessing you won't hear much from them about it, but you deserve a "Thank you", because you gave them a quality product (which, as SuperSewist says, will be hard for them to clog).

90 minutes isn't bad, considering you had to do all the carrying-in and carrying-out by yourself! And I'm sure you made it look nice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks