Renovating Bathroom- Electrical Code

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris Wagner

Reaction score
Hello all,

Recently demoed our 5x8 kids second floor bathroom. Currently it has one receptacle that is tied in with the master bathroom receptacles and then run to a GFCI receptacle in the garage.
The lights and fans are on a separate circuit.

The only thing we are adding is a recessed light above the shower(with proper trim).

I have read current code is separate 20amp circuit run for each bathroom. Does this bathroom need brought up to code or can we still use existing setup?

Thanks!

Chris Wagner

Reaction score
So aslong as I dont touch the existing receptacle the bathroom doesnt need to be brought up to current code?

Would the recessed can above the shower need to be GFCI protected? If so I guess that rules out taking it off the existing receptacle

Reach4

Reaction score
I would hate to think there would be something preventing replacing an existing non-GFI bathroom outlet with a GFI outlet.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I had this discussion else where, and while I believe that if you can touch the fixture while in the shower it should have a GFCI, others stated that that requirement is NOT in the electrical code.

Chris Wagner

Reaction score
Reach- The outlet is GFI protected, reset is just in garage.

hj- that was my thinking, I was thing of running it from the outlet that is GFI protected but Im not sure if that changes everything where the bathroom needs to be brought up to code

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks