Removing Water Softener - capping connections

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by bobwood, Mar 2, 2008.

1. bobwood

bobwood New Member

We've moved to city water and have removed our Water Softener. I now have two open pipes (input and output) with a sliding shutoff valve. The sliding plastic bypass/shutoff value leaks slightly. I'm looking for a quick solution that does not involve cutting and soldering. Is their such a thing as a male end cap to plug the lines? Picture is attached. Thanks in advance for any help!

Attached Files:

2. patrick88

patrick88 Plumber

A quick fix would use shark bite caps. You will need to cut the pipe tho.
  3. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

You could also cut out the unneccessary stuff and run a nice new pipe.
  4. bobwood

bobwood New Member

Thanks!

I've got a tubing cutter but am crappy at soldering (I've done it a handful of times but need more practice). I've been using compression fittings for some recent work and saw the SharkBite stuff but did not know how it worked. Thanks!
  5. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

You should check the water company's web site for their water quality report and find out how much hardness they have, and reinstall the softener if there is more than 3-4 gpg of hardness in your water.

That by pass valve is repairable. It is probably a Taras, I think that's the name of the manufacturer, and the 4 orings cost next to nothing. One end knob unscrews from the shaft that has the orings on it