Removing water from P trap/drain

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by moobiker, Aug 14, 2006.

1. moobiker

moobiker New Member

Hi,

I'm remodeling an upstairs bathroom, have demo'd the old (concrete) tub/shower and am preparing to install a jetted tub and freestanding shower, either Kerdi, Wedi or maybe Tile-Redi pan. I have to move and extend the existing shower bath drain, and I’m concerned about causing a flood to the 1st floor when I cut the connection to the P trap, with the water that is now standing in the drain. Can anyone tell me how much water I can expect to drain out, and does anyone have any tricks/tips for removing the standing water?

Mike
  2. prashster

prashster New Member

It's not that much. A few cupfuls (assuming it's a 2" pipe").

Try a turkey baster.

Or stuff a coiled hand towel down the drain.
  3. jdkimes

jdkimes Engineer

Tape a pipe or tube to a wet vac and suck it out...with the vacuum.
  4. moobiker

moobiker New Member

All good ideas, thanks - and sorry again for being a noob and accidentally double posting
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The trap is normally a U about 4-6" across at the top, so you can figure the volume.
  6. Lakee911

Lakee911 I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)

Thanks for the clarification ... I was wondering what the wetvac was for if I was gonna suck on it ;)

Jason