Removing veneer?

Users who are viewing this thread

M

montela

Want to refinish a night table. It has a veneer coating which has cracked and chipped. I'd like to get it off.
Any suggestions,

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Unless it is a very old table done with hide glue, which can be steamed, the easiest approach may be to sand the veneer off using a large belt sander.

Is is scratched so bad that you can't just lightly sand and refinish the veneer?

What do you plan to do when you get the veneer off? The seconday wood is probably not an attractive species.

Dgold

Avoid DIYer
Reaction score
Have you tried using a heat gun to soften the adhesive underneath the veneer. If it works, you may be able to pull the veneer off in large sections.

I'd try to heat up a corner and get a putty knife underneath. Then insert a dowel rod or a piece of scrap. Keep moving the dowel or scrap in so as to keep "pushing" the veneer pulling up from it's underside. As you heat the veneer, if it softens the adhesive, it will release. Move the dowel, heat, repeat.

Watch your fingers too. Heat guns - even cheap ones - can reach temps over 1,000 F.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks