Removing valve stem for sillcock

Users who are viewing this thread

BobR

Reaction score
I have a woodford freezeless sillcock (model 14) that has a broken valve stem ( i.e - i can no longer attach the handle). How do I go about removing the broken valve stem for replacement?

Last edited:

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
Turn off water. Remove handle (but I'm thinking yours is already off). Remove packing nut (nut behind where the handle goes). Hopefully you will find a nub of the stem that you can grab with a wrench, if so, rotate stem counterclockwise several times, the white packing material should begin to come out towards you. If there is not enough stem to grasp, dig the old packing out with a screwdriver or similiar device. Having rotated the stem counterclockwise several times, pull stem towards you. It may be difficult if any packing remains in the valve body. If you can't grab on the stem, get a new hydrant, preferably the model 17.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks