removing undermount sink from granite

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by tbdj, Jan 5, 2008.

1. tbdj

tbdj New Member

We currently have a kohler black cast iron undermount sink under granite countertops. My husband and I are beginning kitchen remodeling (want to keep the granite but switch the sink for same model but different color). I stopped by the place that installed our granite and sink and they said this is possible about 99% of the time. Have any of you done this? how difficult is this process? i know the sink must be epoxyed to the granite and then we have an undermout kit supporting everything. Is this going to be the nightmare I'm afraid of?
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

It really depends. Often, they're attached with silicon and a bracket or clips.
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

I hope it is not epoxied. I can't imagine how epoxy is strong enough to hold the weight. Look for some kind of supports or brackets.

If this is a kitchen sink, the tough part is getting it out. You probably have to drop it down, then twist and turn such that it can come out through the top.
  4. Mikey

Mikey Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek

My Silgranite kitchen sink and bathroom vanity sinks were both attached using the supplied fasteners and Polyseamseal caulk by two different vendors. I think both could be removed by undoing the fasteners and working a thin shim around the edge of the sink. If it were truly epoxied, all bets would be off. LIke Jimbo, I doubt that it's epoxy, and is not likely to be the only means of support. If your supplier says it works 99% of the time, see if he'll put money where his mouth is, and warrant the removal to a) not damage the granite and b) allow the installation of the replacement. Might be worth it to use your checkbook as the primary tool here.
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  5. construct30

construct30 New Member

Don't expect anyone to guarantee that kind of work on used counter tops. No one wants to be on the hook for that expense when it is based off work done a long time ago by someone else and possibly years of pots and pans hitting it and causing small unseen cracks.