Removing stubborn Flushmate cartridge

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
flushmate-enon-hall.jpg

I have an 8 year old Crane Flushmate toilet, and I think the cartridge needs replacement - the flush is very inconsistent, sometimes does what I would call a partial flush which is ineffective, and we need to hit the lever 2 or 3 times.

I have a new cartridge, but so far haven't been able to budge the old one. I used the handles of a long pair of Channellock pliers as the instructions specify but it felt like the pliers would break before the cartridge would move.

I have ordered the "official" cartridge wrench from Sloan, but wondering if there's any other tricks to unscrewing the cartridge?
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Turns out the "trick" is to buy the official cartridge removing tool - got mine from eflushmate for about $13. Works great and would recommend to anyone who services Flushmate-equipped toilets.

loverboy

Reaction score
Steve -

I have noticed the cartridge might bind up over time. The trick is either get a wrench from eflushmate (best choice) or when you place your piliers in the cartridge make sure the handles are as close to the center hold as possible. This will prevent any breakage. You might check to verify you have clearance between the rod and top of the cartridge. This might be the cause of your issue. If all else fails I would suggest calling the 800 number for Flushmate. I have normally had great response from my calls. If time is limited you can also email them from there site and they can call you back. Hope this helps.

Steve

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info!

My cartridge apparently was bad - replacing it has made a world of difference. Flushes every time, and only takes a fraction of the effort to push the lever as it used to.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Went to repair a 1999 Gerber toilet with Flushmate today.
I will say that repairs can be a challenge.

I don't care what CR thinks, they don't have to repair them like I do.

I tried to remove the cartridge using the Flushmate tool. Using as much strength as I could, without breaking the tool, or the fins of the cartridge, I got it to move about 3/8"

I turned the water on for a bit, hoping that somehow that would help to loosen things, then turned the water off, flushed it again to relieve the water pressure, tried it some more, no go.
Turned the water back on, and yes, the leaking water that the homeowner said was there was leaking pretty good, but noticed a spray of water too. I put my hand down behind the tank, and it felt like the water was leaking from a seam in the plastic tank.
I asked the homeowner, and yes, it has been spraying.

OK, looks like a bad tank, maybe that's why the supplier said the cartridge should work,

"As long as the tank isn't bad."

Well, I had the cartridge, which I could have used if I could have gotten the old one out, but since the tank had a bad seam, and was leaking anyway, I realized it need a new flushmate inner tank. I didn't have one on the truck.

DSM2362

Reaction score
flushmate cartridge removal tool is a p.o.s

if you have a stuborn cartridge that just wont unscrew from the tank. try a little heat. i stress little heat again. i got soaked for $13.65 for the cartridge removal tool. when it arived i was extreemly disappointed. its made of plastic, looks almost like a hole saw minus the teeth with slots cut in it for the ribs on the flushmate cartridge. so far so good. but it goes downhill from there. on the top of the removal tool is a 5/8 plastic nut that is part of the tool. needless to say if you have a tough cartridge that does not want to budge. the 5/8 nut on the top of the tool twists and breaks off. piss poor design. anyone with a 2nd degree education could have designed this tool better. the nut needs to be beefed up to a larger size and add some ribs on the inside of the tool for strength. but after some cussing and swearing at the genius who designed the tool. i figured you only have to be smarter then the cartridge. afterall heat works for almost anything, if you use it in moderation.
just remember the tanks are made of polyproplene and they melt real easy. so use extreem caution, or you will be buying a new tank. i aplied some heat from a small propane torch at a good foot away from the cartridge and just watched for any plastic that looked like it might be distorting. be real carefull. i heated it up for about 2 minutes max. and i was almost able to spin the cartridge out by hand with my 13 dollar broken tool. just a thought before you spend some money on usless tools.

flushmate_front.jpg

Scott

Flushmate
Reaction score
Website
www.flushmate.com
A hand-held blow dryer found in most bathrooms will provide the same results with less chance of actually melting the plastic. It's not as much fun as firing up a blow-torch but it works. Applying a little vegetable oil or aerosol "cooking spray" is another effective method to loosen a resistant cartridge.

I've changed out hundreds of cartridges with the same "Quick-mate" wrench and never broken the socket nut or any of the "wings" that straddle the cartridge "fins".

If you do break the cartridge "fins" and the Flushmate is under warranty they'll gladly send you a replacement tank and return shipping label for the original; all you have to do is call the tech support number on top of the Flushmate. They'll need to know the serial number, fixture info, etc., but they honor their warranty better than most manufacturers.

I'm sure they'd be willing to replace a broken wrench, too.

plumbingdoctor

Plumbing
Reaction score
Website
www.kullysupply.com
hmm, never had a problem with the cartridge removing tool. better than pliers! I found one for $3.50 on flushmaterepairparts.com, but I'm sure you can find one off flushmate's site too.

mgroff

Reaction score
Ridgid makes a universal faucet and sink installer which fits perfectly...

At ~$20 it won't save you any $$$, but as stated its a universal, so it might be helpful in other situations as well. Most importantly, it fits the C-100500 perfectly. So perfectly, in fact, that I was able to put enough tork on one to shatter it (not just breaking the "clips" but the entire core of plastic which houses the spring & actuator).

-Marcus

dseto200

Reaction score
Agree the tool is sort a crappy. To remove the old flushvalve I had to spray WD-40 around the thread area.
Then I inserted the socket into the flushmate cartridge tool and inserted tool onto the cartridge.
Pushed into cartridge and then turn it took awhile to loosen that cartridge. Youtube video they do it so easily of course when you remove an old cartridge it is much harder.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks