Removing Stripped Faucet Seat

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by bbillcee, Mar 9, 2007.

1. bbillcee

bbillcee New Member

ancient faucet that has a bad seat......tried getting it out with the proper tool and stripped it!

this is in a tub body behind the wall....any trick to get this seat out?!

the temp fixed i used for now was a beveled washer instead of flat.

i would also try an easy out but i have to see if its long enough to get back in there
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2007
  2. Cass

Cass Plumber

Whaat tool did you use to get it out?
  3. bbillcee

bbillcee New Member

a seat tool.....one side square and the other like a pentagon shape

i'm going to buy a nipple extractor and see how that works out
  4. Cass

Cass Plumber

Which tool?

They have one that is shaped like an L and another that works with a ratchet.

What brand is the faucet?
  5. bbillcee

bbillcee New Member

its an L shape......also its a gerber faucet
  6. Cass

Cass Plumber

If you can find the other type of tool and the hole is not perfectly round, or even if it is, you may be able to bang in the removal tool tight enough to get it to work. I don't think you will find a nipple extractor small enough to fit in the seat hole.

The L type extractors are junk in my NSHO. But a lot of people use them.

Go to the big, online, auction site and look up this item in the buy box.

7. bbillcee

bbillcee New Member

yes that looks very good.....i will stop by the plumbing supply and see if they have something like that

thanx
  8. Cass

Cass Plumber

If the seats are round you may be able to bang in the removal tool and get it to score the seat enough so you can see the marks then if you can find a small and sharp angled file, file some corners into the seat for the tool to grab. Be carefull.
  9. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

seat

Be careful when you "bang" the removal tool, because many of those tools are too long and hit the back of the faucet. If you bang them, you will punch a hole in the back of the faucet, and then removing the seat will be a moot point because you will have to replace the entire faucet.