Removing Stem Extension

Users who are viewing this thread

bargainhunter

Reaction score
I need some help...I am trying to replace a cartridge to a Moen 2 handle spread faucet. There is a stem extension holding the cartridge down in the valve. The problem I am having is that the stem extension is badly chewed up after I tried to use a pair of pliers to turn it. Does anyone know how I can unscrew the stem extension?

Kevin @ ProSpex

Reaction score
Moen

moen1225.gif

This came from the Moen website under FAQs

How do I replace my Moen cartridge?
Tools needed: pliers, Philips screwdriver, Allen wrench set.
Optional: white vinegar

CAUTION: Always turn water supply OFF before removing existing faucet.

CAUTION: Turn faucet on to relieve water pressure and ensure water is completely off.

Because not all faucets are not manufactured using identical parts, the steps may vary. When available, refer to your Moen faucet instruction manual or use the specification and illustrated parts sheets from our website.
1. Remove cap button or helmet style cap to expose screw.
2. Optional: Pour white vinegar to help remove mineral deposits.
3. Remove remaining parts
Hint: Domes snap up and off; collars unthread
Hint: Some fixtures have a washer around stem which needs to be removed
4. Remove retainer clip (copper horseshoe-shaped clip). Most clips slide in from back to front or on tub and shower faucets, from top to bottom.
5. Using white plastic twist cap/tool (supplied in repair kit or w/new cartridge) turn cartridge 90 degrees to the right and 90 degrees back to the left.
6. With pliers, pull cartridge out of faucet.

OPTIONAL STEP
7. Clean valve housing with white vinegar and toothbrush; rinse/flush with water.
8. Insert new 1225 cartridge with plastic tabs at 12 and 6 o'clock positions. The hole on the face of the cartridge stem will be facing 6 o'clock or down if replacing a tub and shower cartridge.
9. Reassemble faucet accordingly.
10. Open water supply

How do I install a kitchen faucet?
If you would like animated installation help, click here

Tools needed: flashlight, an adjustable wrench, pliers, safety glasses, a basin wrench, penetrating oil, flexible supply lines, and channel lock pliers

CAUTION: Always turn water supply OFF before removing existing faucet.

CAUTION: Turn faucet on to relieve water pressure and ensure water is completely off.

Helpful Hint: Use a penetrating oil spray on the faucet mounting hardware to help loosen corrosion and assist in removing the existing faucet connections
Helpful Hint: Remove mounting hardware using a basin wrench or channel lock pliers
Helpful Hint: Thoroughly clean and dry the mounting surface after removal of your existing faucet

See Steps 1 to 9
1. Use a non-abrasive cleaning agent to thoroughly clean the area under the removed faucet and allow the area to dry completely.
2. If you are installing the faucet on a tile countertop, remove rubber gasket from underneath support plate or deck ring - depending on which type of faucet you have. Roll a bead of putty so that its diameter is that of a pencil. Apply the putty in place of the gasket (gasket will not be used). When applied in the groove, the putty should protrude a minimum of 1/16". If you are installing the faucet on a flat surface, the gasket is self-sealing and putty is not needed.
3. When installing a Deck Plate model faucet, do not unbend supply tubes until after the tubes have been inserted through the sink hole. Install the faucet through the deck holes with the threaded shank to the back. Center the faucet on the sink with support plate oriented in the sink holes. Turn the spout sideways to keep the faucet from leaning forward.
4. For Deck Ring models, do not unbend the supply tubes until after the tubes have been inserted through the sink hole. Place the deck ring over the supply tubes and threaded shank against bottom of faucet body. Install faucet through deck hole with threaded shank to the back. Turn the spout sideways to keep the faucet from leaning forward.
5. For deck holes up to 1 1/8" inch deep, install the mounting bracket open-side-up. Deck holes greater than 1 1/8" deep, install the open-side-down. For spray models, a groove on the threaded shanks indicates the minimum amount of exposed thread. For models without a spray, a minimum of 1/2" of threaded shank must be exposed. Position mounting bracket onto threaded shank and around supply tubes. Do not kink the tubing. Install mounting nut and tighten by hand.
6. Make sure that the faucet is positioned evenly and use the mounting tool to make final tightening adjustments.
7. Carefully straighten each supply tube using two hands. If using flexible supply lines with compression fittings, thread supply-line nuts with fingers. Then while holding one nut with a wrench, tighten second nut with another wrench. Rotate the nuts one-half turn and take care not to over-tighten. Make connections to both hot and cold supply lines. The hot supply line is always on the left when threaded shank is in the rear.
8. If you have the optional sprayer and a Deck Plate model, feed the spray hose through the deck plate hole, and then connect spray hose swivel nut to the threaded shank. Tighten swivel nut by hand, plus 1/4 turn with pliers. Be careful not to twist the hose or over-tighten the nut.
9. To avoid damage to your new faucet, be sure to follow these flushing instructions. Remove the aerator and turn the faucet to the cold position. Turn on the cold supply for 15 seconds. Without shutting the faucet off, turn the faucet to the hot position and turn the hot supply on for 15 seconds. Next, turn the faucet to the mid-position and turn on the spray for 15 seconds. Shut off the faucet, re-install the aerator and check the system for leaks. Your new Moen faucet is now ready for normal use.

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
stem

YOu do not unscrew the stem extension. You unscrew the retainer that is hold ing. Some retainers are above the deck and can be removed with a wrench. Others are down inside the valve and you need a special remover tool to unscrew them.

bargainhunter

Reaction score
Thanks for all you comments...but

its the retainer that is messed up. The retainer is screwed into the valve. I chewed up the notches where the special tool grips the retainer in order to turn and remove the retainer. I am looking for a way to try to turn and remove the retainer. The retainer is made out of PVC and there is nothing left to grip since I am down to where its screwed into the valve.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

Call 1-800-BUY MOEN and have them send you a new body with the stem and retainer in it. At this stage you might be able to remove it, but the odds are that you would create a new problem in the process.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks