removing rusty drain from antique sink

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by peeler, Oct 30, 2009.

1. peeler

peeler New Member

I'm restoring a 1923 Kohler pedestal cast iron sink,, and having a bit of trouble
    removing the drain pipe. There is rust between the pipe and sink body. I've been hitting it with spray oil periodically, tapping it with a hammer. I'm assuming the visible flange ring is attached to it permanently but not sure...
    any ideas? would a little heat be effective, safe?

2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    drain

Cut it off with a hacksaw, or SawZall. Heat could cause the enamel to chip off. The exposed piece is part of the drain, not the sink.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Master Brian

Master Brian DIY Senior Member

I'd be worried the sawsall would vibrate and chip the enamel as well. Any chance you have a dremil or a diegrinder/cutter? If you try the sawsall, use a good sharp blade....

A little heat would probably get it off, but like HJ said, it could pop the enamel. I think I used a diegrinder to cut the one off my antique clawfoot tub!

5. Doherty Plumbing

Doherty Plumbing Journeyman & Gas Fitter

Red Seal Journeyman Plumber & Licensed Gas Fitter
    If you have the sink out just simply cut the drain off with a hacksaw as close to the underside of the sink as you can. Make sure you cut/pry off the nut holding the drain in place.

Good luck!

6. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Tech. Instructor
    A dremel with a sharp wheel works also. Cut the nut,

7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    saw

There is NO vibration from a SawZall that would damage the enamel. WE do it all the time. But you have to cut it off under the sink, not on top.