Removing rust bolts from steam boiler

Users who are viewing this thread

ejnoah

Reaction score
I have a cast iron steam boiler to heat my home. the stam has been leaking from a metal plate on the side of the boiler held on by 6 metal bolts. Two of the bolts appear to be rusted. What is the best way to remove these bolts without damaging the cast iron boiler? Should I run the boiler before attempting to remove the bolts? Will the heated boiler expand allowing easier removal of the bolts? Thank you for your immediate response.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
bolts

Use a lot of penetrating oil, PB Blaster, and whatever else you can find. IF you are lucky the bolts will not break off, but I would not count on it. You might be better off using a "nut cracker" to break the nuts and then rethread the bolts before installing new nuts.

ejnoah

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. there are no nuts. The bolts are screwed into the cast iron boiler. Would heat help? Does cast iron expand?

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Bolt Extractor

Irwin makes a set of bolt extractors that you can buy at most hardware stores. I would soak the bolts in PB blaster overnite, then use the extractors.

Attachments

• Bolt Extractor.jpg
    Bolt Extractor.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 586

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
good luck on that project

just the thought of trying to get bolts
screwed into an old boiler out almost brings
shivers to my spine.....

if it is anything like the last time I tried to
get MUFFLER bolts out of the body of a car,

I ended up going to MIDAS and letting them

BURN them out with the welding torch..

good luck, you are gonna need it.

my guess is if they dont come out wou will have to
cut off the heads of the bolts,
then drill them out and re-tap the holes

Now THAT is a fun time...

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks