Removing PVC Pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

CardTopper

Reaction score
I have a mop sink that I want to disconnect. I can easily disconnect it, but then there will be a PVC pipe protruding about 2 feet out into open space. I don't want to saw it off at the wall as I may want to use it in the future.

There is a part of PVC that comes out of the wall about 6 inches. This is cemented (or whatever you use to join 2 PVC parts) to the trap that connects to the sink.

What can I do to disconnect the cemented part so that I may be able to connect something to it in the future?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The so called, "cement" or "glue" used to join PVC pipe is neither cement or glue. It is a solvent that briefly liquifies the surface of the pipe and fitting being joined so that the two pieces are actually welded together. You can not "unglue" them. It is true that some success can be achieved in removing a fitting from a pipe, but it is not easy or is it alway successful. The best thing to do is to cut the pipe off leaving enough to cap. You might consider "gluing" a slip to male threaded adapter on the pipe and using a threaded cap. Then when you want to use the drain again, you would need to transition from the theaded adapter back to slip. You will still have some pipe protruding into the room. The only thing you can do if you don't want the pipe protruding, is to open the wall and cut the pipe off inside the wall and cap it. Then reopen the wall, cut the cap off and install whatever PVC you want after that.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Because of the finality of a PVC joint, every time you change something your pipe grows smaller as old fittings are cut off. If you will really have 6" after you cut off the old fitting, you could cement on a cap (the right way to do it). Then when you cut off the cap to connect something else in the future, you'll lose another inch or so of pipe, but still have room to connect the new fitting. However, if you get a little too close to the wall, then it's a major job to connect the new stuff. The solution? Duct tape! Slide the cap on the cut-off stub coming out of the wall and wrap a few turns of duct tape around it to hold it on. Then it can easily be removed when you connect the permanent fitting. NOTE: This violates all kinds of codes, I'm sure, but it works.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks