Removing Purple Primer Drip (oops)

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by fishbum, Nov 17, 2005.

1. fishbum

fishbum New Member

Ok, how do I remove the drip of purple pvc primer from my new white shower?
    I know, I know - slow down you say. But no matter what I did a drop of the stuff always fell from somewhere...
    thanks
  2. Cass

Cass Plumber

Well for future work take plastic sheeting and tape and mask off the are below where you are working. As far as the drip you have now anything you do will most likely marr the finish, that said try taking a Q tip and put it in clear primer, lightly rub the spot and keep changing the Q tip, that might work but I have never tried it so I am not sure.
  3. fishbum

fishbum New Member

Phew, gotcha.

I was plumbing a drain line that runs between the joists above the shower.

Lesson learned - I already covered the upstairs shower with plastic as that is where the drywallers will be working tomorrow!!!!!!

thanks
  4. fiasco

fiasco New Member

After getting the drip off you might try using a car buffing wheel and some rubbing compound to smooth the finish if it is marred. I had alot of success with this when I had to remove a very shallow chip when a piece of ceramic was dropped into my tub.
  5. paint thinner- turpertine

try paint thinner or turpentine, possibly acetone

we ruined a vinly floor years ago that way, ae right into the
    finish and we ended up replaceing it....

I wont have the purple stuff on the job anymore..
  6. fiasco

fiasco New Member

Acetone will eat plastic. I don't know about the finish on a fiberglass tub but I would be hesitant to use acetone.
  7. fishbum

fishbum New Member

The drip is a long streak, about 1/16" wide and 4" long down on the front of the threshold... if I get time this weekend I'll give a few of these ideas a try.
    Thanks everyone-
  8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

drip

Now you know why we do not install the showers until after all the piping is done.
  9. Bob NH

Bob NH In the Trades

Try toothpaste

I got a spot off a molded countertop using toothpaste (not the gel) on a cloth. It has a little very fine abrasive that didn't mess up the finish.
  10. rshackleford

rshackleford New Member

I spilled bleach on the carpet once and homeowner’s insurance paid for a nice new wood floor. You might consider turning it into the insurance company.
  11. fiasco

fiasco New Member

I wouldn't turn something that small into insurance. They hold that against you and may drop you when you have to file a real claim. Further, if I were to buy a house the first thing I would do is check previous claims as insurers will hold the previous occupants claims against you when calculating your premiums.
  12. rshackleford

rshackleford New Member

The claim might not be that small. The insurance might pay to replace the entire shower. Why have insurance if you aren’t going to use it?
  13. Daryl

Daryl Handyman

If this drip is located on the outside face of the threshold face you might have a chance if it located on top of the finish. I am assuming the showerpan is acrylic or cultured marble. Go to the nearest auto paint supply store and pick up one of the little round rubber sanding discs which most carry. These are about 1 1/2 inch in diameter and use little adhesive backed sanding discs. they come in very fine grades and are easily controlled do to the size. Purchase 1000 or 1200 grit discs and a squeeze bottle of polishing compound. Very carefully and slowly sand over the drip using water for a vehicle. (Sandpaper is wet or dry). You are attempting to remove just the high part of the drip down to the clear coat finish on the surface. Once you have carefully removed the primer you can polish the fine sand marks out with the polish and a soft rag. THese acrylic and cultured finishes have a clear coat and top of the color which allows small imperfections to be removed and protects the color from wear and tear. (This system is used in the car industry to remove small flaws from urethane finishes.) :D
  14. arrowboy

arrowboy New Member

Tooth Paste works like a dream, I never would have thought of it. The primer was on the tray for about 2-3 hours, but it came right off. Thanks!!